>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther P22 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby chuck30a » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:40 am

Well I own 2 P22's, first one i bought my wife began to not let me shoot at the range, so i went and traded a few older shotgun's that weren't worth much and got a second one all this happened last year, i say we have put 10,000 rounds threw each one, cleaned them like clock work. Well after a while we had all kinds of trouble ejecting and feeding the next round, CCI's were the only ones that wouldn't give us problems, well at that price no way, i buy the bulk 550 boxes from WalMart, well after reading this forum, Well after the post that said grinding the lip on the ramp and polishing it, it will eat any shell i throw in it, 5 minutes to grind and polish took this POS to a great little gun. so for everyone having issue with stove pipes and FTF, read down to where they talk about polishing the ramp to fix the problem you will swear by the gun, hour of fun at a very cheap price.......... i will suggest this gun to anyone who wants a plinking weapon, don't give up on this gun, just follow the directions and it will eat anything you put in it. Next week at the range i'll fix my wife's, she got so mad she stopped going to the range, now i'll have to beat her away with a stick............. Read the fix and you will rate this gun a 5 again ...... don't take my word for it, try the fix, only have to shave a tiny bit, then buff it and you are fixed ....... Thanks to my friends at Knob Creek Gun Range who helped me do it, then we threw every 22 shell they had in stock no jams or fail to feed........... if you are having those problems try it ..... you will thank the guy who posted the fix......
chuck30a

Postby kep4321 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:37 pm

I have heard about that fix before and heard that a lot of people have had very good results. I have never done a thing to mine and I don't have any issues. In the beginning mine was rather picky but loosened up a bit after lots of rounds being thrown at it. By now have far surpassed the 10,000 round mark. I took mine out today and put 150 rounds of Federal Lightning ammo through it and had zero issues. I buy it at Wal-Mart for $1.47 per 50 rounds (maroon and black box). That's cheap enough for me!
kep4321

Postby matthew1971 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:44 pm

ok, i'm back after some time, wanted to give the gun some time to loosen up. my final review of this gun is: nice looking gun, feels good in the hand, surprisingly accurate. but, the most unreliable gun i have ever owned. some may dispute this, but you can't, this is my experience with the gun, not yours. and from reading here and other places, a lot of people have problems with this gun. some claim that after thousands of rounds their gun loosened up and became good enough to shoot cheaper ammo. i can't spend the money required to shoot thousands of rounds of expensive (for .22) higher-velocity ammo and hope that it eventually becomes the gun it should have been all along. i would say, based on my experience and the experience of too many others, avoid this gun. i'm getting rid of mine as quickly as i can. if you choose to buy one, good luck to you!
matthew1971

Postby MotorCityGun » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Bought "the wife" one of these yesterday and took it to the range today. Got the 550 rd value box of Federal 36 gr hollow pts at the W-mart for $19. It claims on the box that its velocity @ muzzle is 1260 fps. Also got a 100 rd box of CCI (mini-mag) 36 gr hp's that also says 1260 fps on box. Shot 11 rds of these with no failures. I store the gun with CCi's in it.

Put about 120 rds of Federal through it with 2 FTF's and 1 FTE. Re-cocked the FTF's and they went off. All in all, not a bad little pistol. It's very accurate out to 10yd/30 ft (which is the farthest I set the target at). Next range outing, I'm going to try it all the way out, up to 25 yds just for kicks.

Does anyone know where to get the mags for these? Everyone seems to be on back order. Best price I found so far is around $22.

Oh, did I mention that "the wife" LOVES this little gun?
MotorCityGun

Postby Jetsburg » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:56 am

MotorCityGun

Walther P22 magazines in stock at:

http://www.waltherpistols.com/category/ ... zines.aspx

A little more expensive but they have them.
Jetsburg

Postby r.long32 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:49 am

My girlfriend bought me this firearm for Christmas. I have a couple complaints but I love this gun. I have fired over 2,000 rounds through it with no problems so far. I like the German style mag release on the trigger guard and the hammerstop. As far as plinking goes, this gun is a ball. Very fun. My complaints are that the grip is small, it's a pain to reassemble and the front sights that it comes with are useless. I know a lot of folks who prefer the buckmark for around the same price but I enjoy my P-22. I wish they made high capacity mags so I could squeeze off more than 10 at a time.
r.long32

Postby StevieSig » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:51 pm

There is a PDF out there called "The P22 Bible" that covers and demonstrates an in-depth solution to many complaints on this weapon. It seems as though the gun has many rough edges from the factory that need some attention. Apparently, after some TLC, you can shoot just about any ammo through it and it will work without failures. Go on line and search for "P22 Bible", it comes up under spentbrass.com and is a 99 page PDF format that is worth reading and keeping for any p22 owner.
StevieSig

Postby Tinmancr » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 pm

great gun very ergonomic and fairly adjustable.

fair accuracy for a 3.4 but only to about 20yds.

also pretty pickey about ammo only real hi velocity and fairly heavy 35+gr.

a good trainer and tiny ccw.
Tinmancr

Postby viperpit07 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:35 am

got this little gun about 2 years ago. i love it, very reliable, never given me problems. safety screw got a little loose, and safety would tunr on while firing, so i called walthers customer service to solve the problem and they where very helpful. slide gets sticky when it is very dirty though.
viperpit07

Postby x.x.aaron.x.x » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:05 pm

I've had this gun for over a year now and I love the way it looks and its fun to shoot but it jams up a lot and its a good lil job to take it apart and clean it but its a good gun for beginners
x.x.aaron.x.x

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols