>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther P22 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Stanky626 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:37 pm

This gun is an awesome plinker. I own the 3.40 barrel version and havent had any problems yet. I only fire CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers. The Stingers are very hot rounds... the gun kicks and blazes out the front. Mini-Mags are $5 at Walmart and have very little kick. They feel like a dirty round though. I can feel some gun powder burn my arm occasionally.

The accessories and parts are very affordable. You can find mags and laser sights all over ebay. If you just want a gun for target practice, this is the puppy for you. I won the laser sight on ebay for about $50. It takes about 50 rounds to fine tune, but is a cool novelty. The downside to the laser is no pressure pad. It turns on from a small switch.

For self defense, Im not sure if this is the right weapon. You might want to buy at least a 9mm. But for fun... this is the way to go.
Stanky626

Postby DrDanO » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:16 am

Purchased the 3.4 barrel version about a month ago, have put a little over 500 rounds through it without a misfire or jam of any kind. Put the larger back strap on the grip and now fits my hand very comfortably. It is accurate, but not a target pistol IMHO, or maybe the shooter is not a target shooter. Still plenty accurate to stay in the black easily from 7 to 25 yards. I have not had any trouble breaking it down for cleaning or putting it back together... just read the simple instructions, look at the simple picture.... piece of cake, especially with the spring guide. I really am glad i put the $279 on the counter, would definitely do it again. Really fun to shoot and cheap ammo to boot.
DrDanO

Postby conrad » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:04 pm

I purchased this gun earlier this week with moderate expectations. Turns out that this is the most fun pistol I have because I cant hear the cash register chiming every time I fire a round. I slipped over to the range during my lunch break today and put about 250 rounds of cheap winchester ammo that I had for my AR-15 with at .22 conversion. The AR doesnt like this ammo at all and I was assuming that the Walther wouldnt either since I have read many things saying how picky it is about they type of ammo used. Im pleased to report only a few misfeeds but I think that one of my mags has a faulty spring. This gun is a blast and perfect for anyone who wants to get a lot of practice without breaking the bank. Best value of any weapon I have come accross so far!
conrad

Postby Stanky626 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:14 pm

Just a quick update on ammo. I typically buy CCI ammo, which works flawlessly in the P22. But, I was feeling daring today and bought a bulk case of Remington High Velocity Golden Bullets. BAD CHOICE. My gun had a FTF or jam in almost every clip. After ejecting the cartridge, I noticed the hammer print on the rear. The bullet just simply failed to fire.

I went through about 100 rounds of Golden Bullets and gave up. I popped open a pack of Stingers, and the P22 was blazing away again. Ill try the Winchesters some day... when Im daring again. Luckily the Remingtons only cost $11 for 525 rounds.

CCI Stingers - flawless

CCI Mini-Mags - flawless

Remington Golden Bullets - at least one FTF or jam per clip.
Stanky626

Postby avordman » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:26 pm

Bought one for me and one for my wife. These are fantastic and fun little pistols. I have owned Ruger, S&W, High Standard, and Colt 22s. They are all excellent weapons, but I dont think any of them were/are as fun to shoot as these two Walthers. BTW have used several types,weights, and brands of ammo. No failures.
avordman

Postby 1917-1911M » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:04 am

One thing I might add about the P-22, while it is manufactured by Walther it is serviced by S&W. Call the 800# and ask for Jeff or Larry. I have never known them to turn anyone down regarding problems or repair, all free regardless if the pistol is new or used, modified by an owner or not. My frame recently cracked at over 27,000 rounds.

I posted pictures at Romfirecentral.com. Larry and I looked at the pictures. We couldnt figure out what would cause it to crack there. S&W sent a mailing label and said they would put a new frame in the pistol, free as usual. They have sent me all the new parts Ive needed in a speedy manner. I cant say enough good things about the service Reps at S&W. Just be polite, and tell them what you need.

I have three P-22s and over 40,000 rounds through them. They take some fine tuning and again you can read all about it at Rimfirecentral.com. This is a good site with a variety of information on many firearms but is not as detailed regarding the P-22 as the Walther section of RFC. Safe shooting. M1911
1917-1911M

Postby waltherp22 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:17 am

Bought Walther P22 a few days ago, then taken it out yesterday. Got about 50-100 rounds before failing to fire. Manufacture defect. Went back to the store, and will be sent off for repair. Hammer is became floppy with little tension when not cocked.
waltherp22

Postby 1917-1911M » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:27 pm

Unfortunately you have an all to common problem, broken hammer spring. Mine broke at 16,500 rounds but some shooters report theirs broke the first round, then after repair by S&W, broke again in less than 50 rounds. Others have gotten 10s of thousands or rounds through the P-22 with no spring breakage.

S&W sent me some spares at my request, all free. M1911
1917-1911M

Postby AlphaCharlieFoxtrot » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:17 pm

I am interested in buying this pistol and i was just wondering if it is worth the buy.and also How does the Blow back feel?
AlphaCharlieFoxtrot

Postby waltherp22 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:03 pm

If you refer to recoil, it is almost non-existent. Is it worth the money? I would lean towards saying no. Bought mind last month, and was not able to get 60 rounds before the hammer spring broke. Walther still has my P22. Wont be getting it back until mid October.
waltherp22

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols