>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 22 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby kep4321 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 am

PT80, I own several Glocks in different calibers and barrel lengths and I have never had to shoot low to hit my target with any of them using any type of ammo. I would be suspicious of any gun dealer who told me that. Maybe he makes more money on the Springfield pistols and that's what he wants to sell you.

Just for the record I also own a Springfield XD45 and love it. It shoots no better or worse than any of my Glocks.
kep4321

Postby PhantomII » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:35 am

PT80;

When I first shot my G22, I couldn't hit the target to save my life, at least where I was pointing it. I did what SW-Insured suggested and shot from a sandbag rest and found the pistol was not the fault! I found that the Glock trigger was my problem, as it was my first exposure to this type of trigger/safety setup. Once I started dry-fire practice and squeezing the trigger steadily and not jerking it, my shooting improved dramatically. Now I don't even think of it anymore...

jbfla;

We have had several discussions on the caliber conversions of the Glock here, and yes, it is one of the best deals going. If you are a reloader, use of the Lone Wolf Match Grade barrels will improve your accuracy with the Glock as it has a chamber that supports the head of the casing better so as to prevent the Glock Bulge thereby making it easier to re-size and reload the ammo.

You can also "Move Up" in caliber by doing the reverse conversion and take a G17 up to .40 S&W, and the G26 up to .40 S&W for a fraction of the cost of another pistol.

/PhantomII/
PhantomII

Postby PT80 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:25 pm

I will have to find out when I get back out to their house as to how they shoot it. I think the first issue was that I was shooting the gun for the first time. I will have to try out your suggestions next time. Most guns I own seem to take me about 2 or so magazines for me to figure out how to properly shoot with it and I only shot one magazines worth of (what I now recall to be) Hollow Points through this gun. I dont recall the brand name of the hollow point but I remember they did not look really cheap or really expensive, something like the winchester HP's that I buy from walmart. I take that back, I may still not properly shoot my guns, I'm just able to hit center mass effectively in range conditions.
PT80

Postby jpicton » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:07 am

I have a beretta 92FS, and am able to put 5 rounds in a half-dollar size pattern at 25 yards. when I use my Son's Glock 22, im lucky to have them in a pie plate size pattern. In fairness, I have not fired as many rounds through his gun, but I just feel it is not as accurate as the Beretta.
jpicton

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:25 am

Hey JP, I'll bet you gun for gun that I can shoot my Glock better than I can shoot your Beretta! I think you'd take that bet if the tables were turned wouldn't you? The moral of the story is "He who practices most, generally wins!" A quality gun in the hands of a dedicated shooter will usually finish ahead of those that ignored that rule. But a sub quality gun in the hands of a qualified shooter will generally beat the pants off of an unqualified shooter with a quality gun. Can someone tell me the moral to that story please? It comes down to practice and determination. That goes for life in general. Without one of them, you'll probably be shown a thing or two. Obama hasn't learned that lesson yet...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby snke_doctr » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:45 pm

SW-Insured;

I had some difficulty adjusting to the Glock 22 as did PT80 but I think it was due to the 40S&W ammo burning faster than other calibers resulting in more perceived recoil (which was a surprise the frist shot I fired). I've been shooting for approx 30yrs, use proper grip, trigger pull, etc.

From your posts you appear a smart guy. What's you take on this?
snke_doctr

Postby SW-Insured » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:32 am

SW-Insured

Postby PhantomII » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:34 pm

snke doctr;

You can practice getting a better trigger action on the Glock by using a dry-fire practice.

I got this hint from Rob Pincus on the Personal Defense Network ; 1) Rack the slide to cock the pistol;

2) take a penny and balance it on the front sight;

3) holding the pistol out in front of you;

4) slowly squeeze the trigger while not causing the penny to fall off;

5) while the striker is released by the trigger, keep the penny on the front sight.

Keep practicing this until the tendency to 'jerk' the trigger is gone and then go to the range and practice the same trigger technique in a live fire drill. You'll find that your shooting accuracy will improve.

Another thing to practice at the range is shoot your target then try to consciously aim at that first hole in the target. Over a couple of magazines of ammo you see that the group tightens up a lot.

At least these two practices helped me with the Glock and my Taurus...
PhantomII

Postby SGT278ACR » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Just bought a Glock 22 (Gen 2) for $369 off budsgunshop.com. They were police trade-ins. I always wanted a Glock, but didn't want to pay the price, so this was a good deal. After reading the reviews on this website I also ordered a 9mm conversion barrel and Glock 17 mag from Cheaper Than Dirt. Can't wait to hit the range to see how she does in both calibers. Anyone got any feedback on performance after shooting 9mm with it?
SGT278ACR

Postby PhantomII » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:02 pm

SGT278ACR;

I also have the conversion barrel for my G22 and have shot about 5000 rounds through it for a review that I did for USA Carry.com. Here is their link to the article: http://usacarry.com/lone-wolf-glock-conversion-barrels. There has been a lot of comments showing interest in the conversion.

In essence, what you have with the 9mm Conversion installed is a Glock 17, and the pistol functions fine with just the drop-in barrel and the G17 Magazine. If you are looking for additional magazines in 9mm or .40 S&W, you can get the Korean KCI mags that will function just like a Glock Mag. If you buy them (they will be in the $5-$8 range) ensure that you get the "Drop Free" mags as they will drop from the pistol when you hit the mag release. You can get them at http://www.cdnnsports.com CDNN Sports. The others will need to be removed manually.

There has been a little over 5000 9mm rounds through my G22, and 4000 9mm rounds through a G27 conversion, have not had any malfunctions, point of aim is still right on. I am entirely satisfied with the performance of the Glock. I have also ordered a Lone Wolf .40 S&W barrel for my G22, and it is much more accurate than the Glock OEM barrel. The Lone Wolf barrels are conventional 'lands & grooves' rifling but the barrel is a 'match grade' barrel. Much more accurate.

After you go to the range and test yours out, let us know how you like it! You made a good decision...

//Phantom II//
PhantomII

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols