>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 36 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Goldfinger » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:53 am

I am seriously considering a G36. I've had, and sold, a G19, G30, and G27, and am presently carrying a Beretta Tomcat .32. The 27 was too small and bulky to get comfortable with. The 30 felt like a brick in my hand. The 19, well I had no reason to sell it and should be beaten with a pair of jumper cables for ever doing that. I love the .45 caliber and currently have a Springfield Micro single action which is too heavy to carry. I intend to carry the 36 in my right rear pocket like the Beretta. Anyone know if there are any after-market accessories for this gun yet? Any extensions that add a round to the mags?
Goldfinger

Postby Doubletap » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:10 am

Goldfinger: While evaluating a purchase of the Glock 36, I saw that it was the same profile as the 30 except for width. The clerk showed me the Glock 39 in .45 GAP. It is the same size as the 27 in profile except for a little extra width. Easy to conceal, and it shoots a .45 round which I prefer.

The 39 shoots very well, and the grip still is much smaller than the model 30. Before you make a purchase, take a peek at the 39. See what you think.
Doubletap

Postby weekendfunandgun » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:28 am

My 36 serves me well. I also had a 27 and sold it. I didnt like having my pinky hang off the bottom of the gun, and the grip extension caused the gun to jam occaisionaly. i don't blame the glock for that, as it NEVER jammed with the stock magazine.

the 36 is slimmer and i definitely am much happier with it than i was the 27. it is much larger than a .32 tomcat, but if you have pants with a big enough pocket than you should be able to carry as you said. I would recommend (assuming you are right handed) that you buy a LEFT HANDED paddle holster made by Fobos that is made specifically for the G36 (can be found on ebay or gunbroker if not in a local store). This way, the left handed orientation of the paddle will clip to the outside of your back pocket fabric, holding the gun securely inside your back pocket.

As for extra round, fobus makes a very nice paddle/clip holster that will hold two additional magazines. i wouldnt reccomend a grip extension as these can sometimes cause jams.
weekendfunandgun

Postby g4l » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:27 pm

Doubletap, I almost went for the G38 at one time, how do you like the GAP round? These models aren't reviewed here yet.
g4l

Postby Goldfinger » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:59 pm

Doubletap:

At one time I was perhaps the biggest supporter of the .45GAP, but my best friend never let an opportunity pass to urge me to forget about it. He was of the very strong opinion that it was something of a fad that would go the way of the 10mm in popularity. I'm kind of glad I didn't go through with my determination to buy a .45GAP, as my friend's instinct seems to be on the money on this one. At the same time, he's a huge fan of the .45ACP, as am I.

weekendfunandgun:

I understand and appreciate the idea of the Fobus holster and all, and I agree the 36 is much larger than my Tomcat, but I used to carry my Glock 19 in my right rear pocket sans holster and it seemed to fit just right. I assume the 36 is no larger, and perhaps even smaller, than the 19. I've never been a fan of holsters, but at the same time I've also never been a fan of "Mexican carry" since I tried that in a convenience store with my arms full of groceries and suddenly felt my Ruger P91DC sliding down my pants leg. Luckily it worked out, but to the guy behind the counter I must have looked like an idiot with a severely degenerative nervous tick the way my arms and hands were flapping trying to not drop my purchases and keep my gun from going further than my kneecap. Bet that was reviewed more than once on the security tape.
Goldfinger

Postby g4l » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:13 pm

Wow, I'd never go without a holster while carrying a Glock, I'd be way to worried about snagging the trigger somehow.
g4l

Postby weekendfunandgun » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:52 pm

yeah, the 36 should be pretty similar in size to the 19, but a little bit thinner.
weekendfunandgun

Postby Doubletap » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 am

Glocks4life:

Goldfinger heard what I initially heard about the GAP being just a fad. But it has been selected by some state police departments now so it is growing in usage.

I was skeptical of the round a bit but have really warmed up to it after putting several hundred rounds through it. It is my primary carry weapon. Recoil is about identical to a .45 ACP. It is an accurate round like the .45 ACP. And I still have two .45 ACP's because of my experience with that cartridge.

I would give the .45 GAP a five bullet rating, without hesitation. The rounds are about $2 a box more than .45 ACP but I suspect that as they get more popular, price will drop.
Doubletap

Postby weekendfunandgun » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:49 pm

Doubletap - what is the benefit of the GAP over the ACP? And does it warrant paying the extra money for ammo?
weekendfunandgun

Postby g4l » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:44 pm

The GAP is in a shorter case so it makes for a smaller grip, it was designed to fit Glocks compact line. The G38 I looked at is very close to my G23 in size. From what I read, the GAP is almost in line with the ACP for a normal load, but can't compare to the +P. Personally I'm gonna wait this out awhile to see how it goes, the GAP isn't that popular and few people even know what it is, it was also developed by Glock so there are few other companies who have guns that fire this round. And being on this subject of odd ammo, Corbon has one called 400Corbon, its a .45 round bottle necked into a .40 case, suppose to be better than 10mm & 357m, and you can buy conversion barrels for most newer .45's.
g4l

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols