>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

EAA Witness Polymer Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby siccmad3 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 pm

I purchased this gun about 2 month's ago and so far i really like it. its my first gun so i dont have much to compare it too, other then my friends guns, but its awesome. I've put about 400 rounds of super cheap ammo threw it with the only FTF being caused by cheap after-market mags. i have a question about ammo though. i have only shot 115 grain FMJ's threw it but i recently purchased some 147 gr hollow points for home defense. in the owners manuals it says not to shoot +p or high pressure bullets threw the gun. is 147 gr a high pressure load? any advice would be much appreciated.
siccmad3

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum! I have some information from a fellow shooter and it's a good answer for your question. Congratulations on your new pistol and make sure you return here to let us know how your break in period continues and your opinion on this pistol's performance.

"The best standard pressure 9mm load is the Federal 115 grain JHP. Its effectiveness and accuracy make it the world standard. Buy several boxes. Other excellent standard pressure 9mm loads are the Winchester Silvertip 115 grain , and Federal 124 grain Hydra-shok.

For guns that may jam with the Cor-Bon or Federal 115 grain hollow-points, the Remington 115 grain +P JHP is a good choice. For older guns I would use the Remington standard pressure 115 gr. JHP.

Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks." Reprint: MA
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby siccmad3 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 pm

thanks tigwelder for the info. i really didn't know i just figured that a 147 grain would have alot more knockdown, i didn't know about the other issues. i will definitely get some of the federal jhp and try it out. again thanks for your help.
siccmad3

Postby MGIB » Sun May 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Tig, I don't mean to come off the wrong way (especially as a new member), but that article written by Ayoob is extremely outdated and the information presented within is incorrect.

Most, if not all, modern 9mm pistols will function FINE with 147 grain ammunition, including mine (a Walther) which I've put hundreds of 147gr. +P HST rounds through without a hiccup.

That is my carry round, and it will stay my carry round.

I have tried 9BPLE, Corbon 115gr +P, Speer GD 124gr +P and they ALL feed fine.

If I were to carry a 115 grain round, it WOULD be the 9BPLE.

It is also common knowledge that the 147 grain rounds will ALWAYS penetrate deeper in flesh than 115 grain bullets.

What this translates to is a quicker bleedout, and unless you're just lucky enough to get a CNS (head/spine) takedown, you will want the additional penetration and what I like to call "leakage" resulting from a the heavier bullet.

Yes, I'm a proponent of the heavier bullet.

147gr, 180gr, 230gr ftw.

Again, don't mean to come off in the wrong way...

Just lookin out.

Thanks for this great site!
MGIB

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Hello and welcome MGIB! I appreciate your commentary and opinion on the heavier 9mm bullets. I don't believe that Mas' research is in any way outdated though. What gives you cause to think that? I'll do my best to explain my thoughts on this subject, bear with me! LOL!

It's my belief that the lighter, faster 9's have far better overall performance than their heavier counterparts. I don't disagree with you as far as the 147 gr. being able to reliably cycle in a semi auto (most of the time). They do impart more force overall, simply due to the bullet weight vs. spring weight. But that's something that should present itself during the break in period if it's going to. That falls into the "maybe" category. It's a concern shared by others, not you obviously but that's your choice. I feel that the 147's are on the upper limit of too heavy. Particularly if they aren't stoked by a +P or +P+. If not they are underpowered IMO and won't perform in the manner they were designed. They're a decent penetrator but if they don't do their "magic" and expand and impart the soft tissue damage the bullet was designed to perform. All you end up with is a high speed spear. Certainly better than some but you can certainly do better from a design viewpoint. All the 147 gr. bullets exhibit muzzle energy (performance) losses when compared apples to apples with the 115 or 124 gr. loads. There are documented figures that show close to 25% muzzle energy losses when simply using the 147gr instead of the lighter weight rounds. So the unknowing or under educated shooter might easily end up with an under powered load. At standard speeds (non +P) the heavier weight bullets commonly won't expand properly and can lead to over penetration. They will most certainly kill an opponent but it'll take too long to stop them. Unless as you stated, you get a CNS or major arterial strike. It's something to think about!

PS: GOOOOOO MOUNTIES!! WVU ROCKS!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby noctcrawler » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:29 am

Does anyone have any experience in reloading your ammo for this gun? If so, what powder do you recommend using?
noctcrawler

Postby epwrangler » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:36 am

Try unique with 115 or 124 grain bullets. I have also used blue dot. By the way 147 gn bullet at 1000+ fps is not something to sneeze at. It will get 'er done
epwrangler

Postby intercooler » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Just bought a 10mm Compact. Anyone know how to put the bullet ratings? I pick it up from the FFL in a couple of weeks so want to do a real review after a range visit. I guess my main reason was intrigue by all I read about the 10mm round, FBI stuff, etc... I already have a Walther P22, Bersa 9mm Ultra Compact and Beretta PX4 .45ACP. Ammo! Ammo is the hard thing to find for these at a range friendly price. I have searched everywhere and most good deals are out of stock. After I try it I may do a barrel conversion to .38 Super or .40 depending on how I feel about the 10mm ammo I end up finding and experience at the range.
intercooler

Postby intercooler » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:45 am

Note to forum Moderators. I do believe the Compact and P Carry are both 3.6" barrels. In the descriptions Compact is listed as 4.5" barrel which only comes in full-size.
intercooler

Previous

Return to Pistols