>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Browning Hi-Power Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby bcjwriter » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:51 pm

Calabrone: All of the Browning HPs are Single Action - in essence the hammer needs to be cocked before the trigger pull will release it. For carry, they need to be carried cocked and locked to be combat ready (in my humble opinion...). I have the practical, and its one of my favorite carry guns. (Aside from the fact its a 9mm - a very accurate 9mm). They are excellent guns. If youve got one, they are excellent shooters.
bcjwriter

Postby jellyrug » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:39 pm

I Purchased a 9mm FN Browning made in Belgium back in 1976. Loved this pistol, but had to leave it behind when I moved here from a different country. Could not get anything that comes close here, so eventually I purchased a FN Herstal 40 S&W high power Belgian made. What a dissapointment. First the changes made from 9mm to 40 S&W were very poorly engineered, taking bad short cuts. To handle the higher 40 cal, they made the spring longer, rather than stronger. The result is misalignment of the spring pin and difficult assembly. It is a bear to pull the bridge back, not something I would like to do in a combat situation. The finish is reasonable, but nowhere near the old 9mm I had. I guess it is time to accept new technology and move on.
jellyrug

Postby bcjwriter » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:33 pm

Jellyrug,

Before you give up, you can usually find a good deal on an older, Belgian made Browning on a site like gunbroker.com or something such as that. You can find them with the old-style finish as well.

If you have to leave for new technology, look for a sig. I own a few and they handle very well. (Albeit most are double action, and your Browning will have spoiled you.)

I wish you luck.
bcjwriter

Postby jimmyneal » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:20 am

I have owned and used the same Browning High Power 9mm for over 35 years. The gun has been all that one can reasonable expect from a firearm and more. It has never needed a repair and thus never seen the inside of a gunsmiths shop. I have not modified it in all these years, but with accurate fixed sights and a comfortable trigger, why mess with it. I have other guns that really need help to satisfy my adventures in accurizing. I can't vouch for the more recent production models, but an old High Power is a great gun in my book.
jimmyneal

Postby MichaelH » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:58 pm

Got a used, Belgian made Hi-Power. Accurate, and a pleasure to shoot. Good ergonomics too. Not a complaint about it.
MichaelH

Postby MichaelH » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:44 pm

Now that i have had the browning for a while and gotten used to it I must say its a pleasure to own. I have gone through alot of guns in my life to find ones that work for me. This one's definately one of the keepers. Prior to that my maid 9mm handgun was a S&W Sigma, need I say more. I am glad I made the switch, where with the Sigma I was lucky if I could hit the target at all, with the Hi-Power 2-3 inch groups at 25 yards off hand are no challenge. Cannot recomend it enough.
MichaelH

Postby wiggins » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:44 am

I have a Browning HP and a FEG PJK-9HP which is a true clone. I removed the magazine disconnects from both an found that the FEG has a better trigger. Both sidearms have blued finishes, but the Browning is gorgeous. I plan on Gun Koting the FEG and using it as a knock around gun. I think it is the epitome of a 9mm.
wiggins

Postby captkurt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:52 pm

does the slide stay back after the last round on the hi-power? A freind of mine says his does not and it has been awhile for me to rember if the ones i shot years ago did or did not
captkurt

Postby maLeVoLenz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:15 am

My 1992 Mark III locks back on empty, but when I first shot it I would swear that it did NOT. Maybe my grip is firmer now, cos I also shoot a G20 10mm. :grin:
maLeVoLenz

Postby jcplacencia » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:24 pm

I bought my Hi-Power 9mm Browning with fixed sights from Montgomery Ward in 1983. I shot it then and can't remember any misfires. I just fired it recently after 27 years, and had one misfeed. Don't know if the 13 rd magazines that were loaded in 1983, might of weakened the springs. I am trying to see how well it shoots at 25 meters from a standing position. For CHL it shoots well. All 50 rds were in the figure of the required human target. Don't know of any other pistol that fits the hand so well. The new MSRP is $1,029.
jcplacencia

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols