>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

AMT Backup Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby elmerfudd » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:24 am

I read with interest the reviews and comments of owners of AMT's in various calibers. Please remember that these were designed to work best with FMJ ammo. Anything else is a invitation for FTF and FTE. Yes fluff and buff works if done right as some have done or had done. Yes they are heavy and have a LONG trigger pulls. I have said before these are not target,range or hand guns that you shoot often. They can be hit and miss but when you find one that hits they can be great BACKUPS. Please if you have one sitting some where, make sure they work well before you bet your family's life or your own that they work well. Be safe.
elmerfudd

Postby rmccall869 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks Elmer,

Yes, I am trying it before I give it to her for protection. As stated, it works real well with FMJ, no jams, and at 10-15yds, pretty accurate. It is not a plunking gun, and pretty much a gut gun. But, are the 380+P jacketed hollow points safe to fire in this gun? I want to know that before I try them. I have always loved guns, and ws a very active shooter in my younger years. I've just gotten the interest baack with my daughter, and want to be sure that she has a good backup before giving it to her. I plan on buying her another 380 subcompact that is lighter and newer design. Maybe a LCP.

But, I know alot of you guys here are very well knowledged in these type guns. Thank s for your input. Does anyone know if the 380+P is like the 38+P which isn't safe for older guns?

Thanks
rmccall869

Postby elmerfudd » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:07 am

I am curious what the owners booklet for the .380 says about the type of ammo is suggested for this handgun. All of my manuals have a warning in red ink that state to "never use ammunition where the pressure levels exceed indusry standards". In addition the manuals state that they were "designed to function with hardball ammo". Personally I would look at Hornady's Personal Defense ammo as it works most like hardball ammo but WILL expand always,even from a 3" barrel. Unlike +P ammo that works better from a longer barrel. If +P is your go to ammo,install a Wolff recoil spring as they are stiffer than the stock one. The Ruger LCP is a great little gun,light weight and very accurate for its size. Good luck Richard. My 2 cents.

Elmer
elmerfudd

Postby tdrago » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:40 am

This pistol is now back in production!! www.highstandard.com .

High standard of Houston, Texas is now producing the AMT Backup line of pistols again. .380, 9mm, .40 & .45 calibers. Not sure if it they are from new old production parts or of 100% new manufacture. Being all stainless steel they are all a bit heavy for their sizes but solid as a rock. Looking forward to a review on the reliability of the new ones, especially the .45 Backup.. You might contact them for info. http://www.highstandard.com/weapons-a-p ... s/107.html

T.
tdrago

Postby rmccall869 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks for the info tdrago. Greatly appreciated!
rmccall869

Postby tdrago » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:24 am

mcacall869: Here is a website that "says" it is OK to fire +P in the AMT but only occasionally. Don't know if is correct.

http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIIC2aa1.html

I own an Ruger LCP and have fired the AMT .380 Backup and IMHO your daughter would be better served with the LCP. Lighter, smaller and VERY reliable. It's also OK for the infrequent use of +P rounds (like just for a little practice then only for defense..). In the end the "Best" concealed weapon to carry is the one you actually WILL carry! The LCP is so small I often forget I even have it on me. Just my .02 cents TD
tdrago

Postby Chevy-SS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:03 am

Wow! That's amazing that the .45 Backup is available again. Thanks for posting.
Chevy-SS

Postby tdrago » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 am

Well, after 10 days of no response I wrote a note today asking (again) about reliability issues and where to see a NEW AMT-45 (as they call it) and all I got from High Standard was "Sorry for the delay in answering. We have been swamped with phone calls, and they come first, unfortunately.

Anyway, the back up 45 is very reliable. If you are interested in ordering one, please CALL us. 1-800-272-7816.

Thank you for your patience."

So, there you go. If HIGH STANDARD says it's reliable then it must be, right? Didn't AMT say the same thing about the original Backup 45??

So for ONLY $525 you can find out if the HIGH STANDARD version of the AMT Backup 45 is a better gun than the original seemed to be (Hit & Miss)..If so, it SHOULD be a WINNER and kick some serious butt in the world of "pocket pistols"!! Forget the .380 and the new rash of 9mm pocket guns..We're talking a .45 cal here, REAL knockdown power in a subcompact size! Anybody gets one PLEASE do a detailed review. TD
tdrago

Postby tonys66ca » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:05 am

I've owned a Covina .380 for about 30 years and had few problems, all of which occurred a couple of years ago: misfires and feeding. I changed all springs, including the magazine and still had a feeding problem. I found that the crimp on the bottom of the mag loosened so the mag lock wasn't holding the mag and round high enough in the weapon. Re-crimping took care of this.

I'm looking to change the recoil spring to accommodate Buffalo Bore .380 +P ammo (1200fps, 288ft-lbs M.E. vs 1020fps and 202 M.E.). I haven't purchased the +P ammo and tried to fire any yet using the stock spring. I am concerned that the increased power might do some damage without a stiffer spring.
tonys66ca

Postby jhon324 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:41 pm

who is selling 1 i would like to buy but could they ship it to me in the uk ill pay extra
jhon324

Previous

Return to Pistols