>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

EAA Witness Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:15 am

Michael, did you consider using some purple loc-tite? Just curious, it works great on loose set screws.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby MICHAEL47 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:22 am

Tig - yeah I thought about it but I got used to the adjustable sights on my S&W and I've never been a big fan of plastic anyway.
MICHAEL47

Postby Retiredwheelgunner » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:11 pm

This one's a Keeper I bought the EAA 22/45 pistol from TGS.com . The .45 is pretty tame except for some muzzle flip but quite controllable and switching over to .22cal is quite easy . The takedown for cleaning is easy I cleaned it before going to the range and I got 3"groups at 25' using Winchester white box, not too shabby for a new gun.
Retiredwheelgunner

Postby Bigfunkytown » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:50 pm

I saw one reciently in 10mm. how does 10mm compaire to say 40S&W or 45acp? hinking of getting the 10mm.
Bigfunkytown

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:14 pm

The 10mm is one of the most powerful pistol cartridges available. It is considerably more powerful than either the .40 S&W or .45acp. The 10mm is actually a .40 caliber bullet but is loaded to very high pressures. You can consider it as a

.40S&W +P+. At moderate loadings it basically falls into a range between the .357 Magnum and the .41 Magnum. Here's a link to a website that will describe it very well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby literaltrance » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:39 pm

10mm is basically a magnum round in an auto casing. When comparing to .40 S&W, the major differences are the primer size and case length. I've seen ballistics tests which put "hot" 10mm loads above .45 +P ACP loads in terms of delivered energy. The biggest advantage to the 10mm casing is the wide range of bullet weights you can use. It's entirely feasable to have a magazine with 135 grain heads for penatrative 357SIG-like capability with an accompanying mag of 200grain heads to give you .45ACP-like "knockdown" power all out of the same weapon. Interestingly enough, many states allow you to hunt with the "hot" 10mm as well, which seems to ensure the 10mm's small yet substantial popularity.

In regards to the EAA Witness Compact, I've been wanting to grab one for a while, but I've heard some horror stories about hot 10mm loads cracking slides. Many online forums speculate this is due to the relatively weak factory springs, and also suggest Wolff springs to curb the abuse the 10mm loads deliver to the firearm. Anyone have any input on this?
literaltrance

Postby outdrsmn82 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:55 pm

i love my 9mm, never a prob with it had the hogue grips. had it for 6 years. sold it to my old man and got me a beretta px4 .40 cal. i asked him to sell it back to me the other day, he said $1000. i was like man you marked it up 750 bucks he said it aint going no where. lol. hes been after me for 6 yrs to get it from me. ahh well i no ill get it back one day.

the only reason i got rid of it was the rail or lack therof, and i wanted more knockdown power.

the only downside to this gun is the takedown.
outdrsmn82

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Hey LT, I don't have anything specific on the 10 cracking frames from weak springs but I can tell you that Wolff makes some damn good ones! Anytime I have to replace one on any of my firearms, I go to Wolff to get it. Very reliable. I would go as far as to say that replacing any of your stock springs with a Wolff replacement as a wise upgrade!

tigwelder56

Postby dan-the-dad » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:12 am

I have a much older witness from 1992, and love it. The main design is the same as it is today. I think the only changes are more ascetic than anything. I for one think its a fantastic gun. It fires good out of the box, but with a little clean up and stoning , its even better. Mine was originally purchased in the 45acp, but Ive added the 10mm, 40 cal, and 9mm barrels, slides and magazines. Only major complaint I have is that my walnut grips stuck into frame a little and caused the wide body clips to stick, and shortly thereafter , cracked the grips. EAA wants $80 for replacements! Anyway, Ive shot browning, colt and smiths that are all in the 1911 style, and I would put the witness on par with all of them. Its easy to strip and maintain, it is virtually problem free, and even better I have seen that it can be actually purchased new nowadsay for around $320. Full or compact size price is virtually identical. Im seriously thinking of getting the compact, but I have and even though I have many others to choose from, still do carry my full sized witness with the 45acp barrel daily. Its reliable. Its affordable. It just works.
dan-the-dad

Postby SNAG7 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:54 pm

I have 3 EAA handguns a 9mm wonder finish that I've had for 8years and it shoots great.It will eat anything I feed it.I got it used. I traded for a 45acp in poly several years ago it shoots nice but doesn't like hollow point ammo. I've tried a couple diffrent mags and had the feed worked on but still its not reliable with JHP. I also have a Bounty Hunter in 45LC w/71\2" bbl. that I shoot cowboy action. I've had and shot many brands and types of handguns over the years and I hold on to my EAA's . Its hard to find a used EAA of any type because I watch for them.
SNAG7

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols