>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

NAA Guardian .380 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby j2342 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:35 pm

well I agree NAA has excellent customer service maybe the best in the industry, but mine is a regluar .32 acp and yes I shot ball only for best feedng. Often it's said mileage may varry and I am happy, you are happy with yours.

In general I will not carry or depend on anything I have not put 1k rounds through. but the spring problem I was referring too, is most likely a fatigue issue , it might be made worse with a necked down NAA 32? but it's there and it's inherent, it's not a coil spring, if you have had the gun apart you will know which "spring" I am referring to, its called the drawbar spring and you can go to thier website and see the exploded diagram of the guns, the screw that secures the cover plate goes through a coil on one end of this spring and the other attaches to the end of the drawbar, which engages the hammer.

It's kind of unique to this gun and I suppose the seecamp and it applies pressure upward on the drawbar, so it will jump back over the hammers catch point after it relases the hammer to fire the gun. it's a method common in guns but it's usually done with a captured coil spring of some form. I have not seen this technique in any other gun and when it breaks, the draw bar doesn't snap back up and grab the hammer any more. (IF someone is aware of a material change in this drawbar spring part of the gun please let me know, I have not checked that board in a year or more.)

If or in my experience, WHEN, the spring breaks.

Then you have a DEAD trigger and worse yet it's not anything you can clear or just pull again, you can try to push the trigger froward with your finger and hope it grabs the hammer to get another round off as you can guess thats no easy job, but in a self-defense situation? GOD HELP YOU!

I had it three times under 1000 rounds (I think I have somewhere around 800 rounds on this gun and the springs lives varied greatly) similar reports on the NAA board indicated this is not a fluke some people had good luck but several had experienced it and like me had it happen to early and to often. if you carry for defense I would install a new one spring fire 20 rounds and hope? This way you at least have a spring with fewer stresses, and for a fatigue issue that's all I can think of to help.

Thats why I labeled this gun not a self defense gun, it sure beats any gun in the glove box and 12 rounds of .32acp should be deadly and sufficient to discourage robbers. but I found a gun that required a good deal of shooting to master and inherently was giong to break springs if fed many rounds. The capper was the might break in self defense situation of course.

NAA Gaurdian is a neat and fun litte gun to look at it and makes you feel good to have a gun on you that you dont worry about people seeing. I would not want someone trying to shoot at me with it of course it's going to work just fine most the time.

I moved on to a 357 jframe steel for me, you can get airweights, I like to practice with what I will use and airweights recoil is to much for lots of practice for ME.

I should note for those not familar, ballistically if your barrel is only two inches long a 357M is not that much better ballistically then a 38+P. The bullet simply does not have time to get up to speed before the gasses pushing it escapes. you do make a lot more flash and noise with the 357 but these are negatives if they don't increase bullet speed as they only slow follow up shots.

if you get a 3inch barrel you get somewhere around another 400ft per second or more bullet velocity with the 357M .

MY point, if space limits you to 2inches you might want to stay with 38+p ammunition even if you buy a 357M. It's strange you can go from 800fps or so with a 38+p or maybe 900 out of a 357M out of a 2inch to around 1400 fps out of 3 inch 357M so your firepower changes drastically though space`change is minimal. most specs printed on the box are for a test guns which in general use 4 inch for 38/357s meausurements, as this was the most common barrel length.

buffalo bore ammo is nice enough to give some specs out of 3inch j frames. some specialty ammos are out there for 2 inch barrels, but allways note what barrel length was used to get the fps and ft/lbs numbers to assure your comparing apples to apples. ok well thats good info but enough on ballistics.

I feel for me 3 inch 357 revolver is what I feel is best if my life is in the balance. I hear the PM9 by kahr is "silly in a good way" accurate gun for its sixe and weight and would likey go that way if I wanted a semi auto to fit my pocket.

If I want to go up to a in the waist band semiauto, I want a Glock with a Snap in holster. EMP 9MM is a nice gun I would love to have to send a few k's rounds down range and a 15 year track record too but thats not posisble. I will keep informed on this gun.

I am just explaining my experiences with these guns, versus my experience with other guns and trying to save someone the money of buying a gun that really doesn't fit what they are looking for. most people dont know what they are looking for at first and all the info they can get is good info.

my views are obvious but I came by them the hard way, I own NAA , jframe ,kframe, kahr,sig .... my son is range officer locally and is a fortunate source of information on new guns, he gets to shoot all kinds of guns without purchasing them. He gets a free view test drive and the owners often express thier likes and dislikes of the gun.

He and I both spend time at the local ranges and gunsmiths and over time have talked a lot of guns with a lot of shooters.

I try to make my posts informative and helpfull to the guy who has only looked at the gun in gunshop or catalog and may not be familar with its internals or reputation and it's unique qaulities.

I sure wish the companies selling gun would leave one as a test drivers for us. I understand why that will not happen. A range may not maintain the gun properly and thier gun gets a bad reputation, etc. In the end if your Happy with your gun choice and it works for you. you made the right choice for you :)
j2342

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi J, excellent post. It's posts like yours that really provide a balance of interesting entertainment and education. You and Vermonter made this forum very informative and provided the exact kind of information someone (like me) that is thinking about a purchase of a similar handgun needs. You can read all the gun mags and listen to the mfg. hype his own weapon but it's nothing like getting educated by an actual owner/operator! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby vermonter » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:34 pm

j2342, I understand what you are saying about the springs. Some of the springs were defective in smoe guns. I have spoken with NAA about this and they are now using Wolff Gunsprings, and there have been no reports of any breakages with the new springs from Wolff. Wolff makes some of the best springs in the industry.
vermonter

Postby clubmaker » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:30 pm

For those who are concerned with a .32 ammo, try the Extreme Shock total frag ammo. It will totall split up on impact and leave a nasty trail of hurt. GO to extremeshockusa.com and review the different type of home defense ammo available.
clubmaker

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Thanks I'll definitely check it out!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Woody » Wed May 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Finaly found a NAA Guardian 32 at the local gun shop, used but in like new condition it sold for $232. I snapped it up quick and went to to range. Great shooting little gun, no problems. Fits right in the pocket and doesn't print. It's my new "always" gun for those hot summer days.
Woody

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:56 pm

I just bought a Seecamp 32 and have to tell all of you that this is one awesome little handgun. Weighs in at 12.5 ounces fully loaded with Speer 60 GR. Gold Dots. Seecamp no longer recommends Win. Silvertip HP's anymore. They changed the dimensions of the bullet and it doesn't feed reliably anymore. I'm completely convinced that this is a keeper! It has performed flawlessly and I have complete faith in it to do what it was designed to do. They are every bit as nice as you have heard they are. I love it!

tigwelder56

Postby sickfellahJJR3 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:48 am

The NAA Guardian .380 is the perfect BUG,it fits right in your pocket,a pocket gun in the true sense of the word!
sickfellahJJR3

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:43 pm

How are you able to purchase firearms in the Philippines? I lived there for almost three years and couldn't get my hands on anything. I was told repeatedly that it was a jailable offense. If there was ever a place where you needed a gun for self defense, it was in the PI. That place is like the wild, wild west! It would be difficult to find ammunition for a pistol like this. It's hard to find in the States, I can't imagine how hard it would be to get in the PI.

tigwelder56

Postby sickfellahJJR3 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:50 pm

I guess maybe that was during Marcos' time but this time around, we have a qyt a few local distributors of NAA like Nashe Enterprises and TrustTrade to name a few...but sad to say they dont sell to foreigners which i totally disagree with coz every1 has the right to defend one's self irregardless of nationality when ur in a wild country lyk ours...provided u meet all d necessary reqs. What is jailable i guess is the ownership & possession of our so called "Paltiks" or homemade guns...
sickfellahJJR3

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols