>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

239 tricks and tips? Just ordered one.

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

239 tricks and tips? Just ordered one.

Postby chs32 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 pm

I've decided to start carrying for various reasons. In my normal, methodical approach, I've been researching caliber and weapon choice. I've chosen 40S&W for my first piece and recently went to a rental range to try different guns. Specifically, I was thinking the Glock 27 would be my choice. I tested the G27, a Springfield XD, Kahr PM40. None felt quite right. I have large hands. All of these tended to pinch low on the thumb and were just not really fun or comfortable.

I still had one more rental left (2 for $10), so I decided to try the P239. I hadn't researched it or heard anything about it, so it was really just a whim and not even on my radar. I was pleasantly shocked. Really fun to fire with far less apparent recoil. Totally comfortable and fun, with none of the pinching I had felt before. In addition, I found that I was far more on target than the other three I tried.

Bottom line, I just ordered the 239 40 Gen 2 in Nitron. The one I tested was a regular 239, but it seemed appropriate to get the SAS version. Anything else I should know, think, or consider about this auto? I tend to like things tweaked, improved, etc. Any special work that makes the 239 even sweeter. Aftermarket mags? The Kahr had crimson trace laser, but I found it really distracting more than helpful (it was also loose and 5 inches off target).

If I like this, what else might I like?

Thanks

Charlie
chs32

Postby BrianB » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I can't help you on your question specifically but I like how you went out and tested out different guns and found one that really fit you. This is great example of how it should be done.
BrianB

Return to Pistols