>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

a place to store guns.

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

a place to store guns.

Postby anthony68 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:41 pm

I dont have a gun safe.

I have some guns in the closet with a silicone sock over them.

I really dont put the air on in the summer,should i still worry about the moisture and the heat ?And how about the guns that are in a plastic gun case?

Would really like your input, before i have problems.
anthony68

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:38 pm

If you keep them in a cabinet or closet, you should get one of those long electric dehumidifiers. They shoud be taken out weekly and rubbed down with one of those teflon gun cloths or the like. Do not wrap them in cloth as it acts like a wick and will rust quickly.

This from the capitol of humidity, South Texas
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 pm

When I suggested "They should be taken out weekly", I was referring to the firearms, and not the dehumidifiers.

Just wanted to clarify things.

Guns can collect dust and moisture just sitting in a safe. You can not reverse the laws of nature. They will collect dust which collects moisture which makes them rust. Wipe down weekly or buy stainless steel.
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby GOANRA » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:16 pm

You can get a 12 gun 'Stack-On' safe for about $149. with a shelf for sidearms or ammo. Bolts to walls floor or both.

I used to keep my long guns on wall racks, with actions open to let them breath & wipe 'em down every 2 months or so.

They had a good coating of Birchwood-Casey Gun "Sheath" in & out, which comes off easy enough for the range.

Sidearms were in a lockable drawer with dessicant.

Now I keep them in a safe with a pack of "Safe DRI" dessicant that works for up to 13 cubic feet [$6.]

It comes with a humidity control card to let you know when its used up.

I get it at a Farm Store that sells safes, but you can get the Safe-DRI online at:

http://www.safeart.net/safedri.html
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby ulgydog56 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:19 pm

yes humidity is the enemy, both ways to control it are a good way to go.keep them between30%&50% approx relative humidity. this I know being a heatingt&cooling contractor,o ya don,t forget the barral&action to........................
ulgydog56

Postby Rocket11213 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:24 pm

Yeah , dear burgular, Hold on while I cobo unlock my gun safe, the unlock trigger gaurd and then load weapon . by then I will be ready to protect myself. al;so m y that time I amd any familt mebers will for sire be dead!

What are practicl places to located a few weapons in a say apartmen t where there are no children! , closets and safes are easy targets for greak enter if i'm not home. pluse dont put all eggs in one basket. So what suggestions locations top place say few hand guns . and if you had to reliy on one weapon which for self protection would it be which pistol, auto or shotgun. pls name cal on pistol, cal onm auto an jkp, or fmj, glazers, or shotgun 00 buck low recoil 000, , or what . so what would you prefer for over all prtotection? Me The short bbl 12 ga 00 buck and 45 auto jhp or 357 as my back up in pants. your choice?
Rocket11213

Return to Gun Chatter