>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Please get basic gun training!!!!

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby pastorfarley » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:30 pm

I just went through NRA basic pistol with my wife so she could learn before I took her shooting. I am sufficiently rusty and have spent little time on ranges in the last decade. Often they have their own set of special rules and knowing one will not keep you in compliance with all. I decided to let someone else who was recommended by a man I trust teach my wife safety and improve my skills. He did both.

Gun safety is a perishable skill, and changes in firearms require new safety skills to be learned as well. We need to keep up to date and never think we know it all or have arrived, becasue that is when we are most vulnerable.
pastorfarley

Postby GOANRA » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:08 pm

Good reminders to be alert at public ranges. I've seen some mess & have sometimes wished I wore my Kevlar vest.

They'll let anyone in !!

I was trained-to-death in LE with sidearm/carbine/shotgun. Annual qualification was often 're-training' for many LEOs who never practiced. Then came bi-annual quals.

After a few years, I became a trainer & saw enough 'stupid' on the LE range. However, 'consequences' were swift & sure. [getting sent off the range, meant working a desk until re-qualified].

I had some rules, but first were GOD's 3 Rules:

1. Barrels point up or at intended target [no exceptions].

2. NEVER touch trigger. [Thinking of trigger was prohibited].

3. Whistle means weapon on bench or ground [NOW].

First infraction was set weapon down, appologize to each trooper on the range [during cease-fire] and leave without weapon.

Second infraction [within a year] was 'paper in file' + desk.

Third infraction [within a year] was 3 day suspension.

Touching the trigger was never 'officially allowed' during qualification. LOL

Getting "some" LEOs to practice 'with free ammo & range-time' during the year was a real challenge.

Not many LEOs are very good shooters.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby ulgydog56 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:55 pm

I too was at my local gun club/range that i,m a member of, at the 100 yard range shooting with a unknown nimrod about 4 stalls down and as the range was hot ,I looked over and saw a guy at the other end walking out to set up his target soooo I yelled at this fool and gave him a scolding about proper range rules and then looked at the other fellow and we both shook are heads,this at a members only club......
ulgydog56

Postby MarkAlvarado » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:00 am

We should be responsible for all our actions regarding firearms. Yeah, we can say that this is only for self-defense and stuffs but we cant deny that guns are really dangerous. Lots of trainings and discipline should be achieved before bringing a gun with you.

Btw, I have no grudges with people who loves or who has passion with guns.. all I can say is "Be responsible!" And also, guns is not for show offs.

[url=http://www.weapons-universe.com/Swords/Samurai_Swords.shtml[/url]
MarkAlvarado

Postby robalan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Is anything more dangerous than the cars we drive? We should all be responsible. Turn your phones off, but go ahead and carry your gun. And then we will all be safer.
robalan

Postby BrianB » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Too true robalan. I don't know how many times I have had someone nearly run me over while I was riding. Most usually they are on a cell phone or seem to not know where they are going. Last week I was nearly hit by a woman because she was paying more attention to the song on the radio she was singing along with than which lane she was supposed to be in. I just installed an air horn on my bike though, lets see how that works. If it doesn't then perhaps a stay back whip may be in order.
BrianB

Postby BrianB » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:55 am

"So this past Saturday I take the family down to the range to get some practice in with our twin pair of Ruger LCPs, the newer 10/22 and the wife's XDM 9mm. We got lucky and manage to get a short pistol range right next to a longer range for the rifle so we can work with all the guns at the same time. I start setting up the rifle on the longer range while my wife starts getting ready on the short range which is on the right. Well, to the right of us in the next lane is a blond and her boyfriend. I was not paying attention to them at the time but apparently my wife see's miss blond get a jam and guess what? Of course she decides to point it in our direction. So my wife asks miss blond to keep the gun pointed down range but rather than an "oh okay sorry" or something along those lines, miss blond gets an attitude and acts as if no one needs to tell her what to do. "

For the rest of the story, click the link

Read the rest of the story here
BrianB

Postby lrgcal4fun » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:33 pm

BrianB, thanks for starting this thread! Important lessons are being taught here.

I am a Range Safety Officer and a few months ago I was helping another RSO and friend during a busy day at our local gun club. We are standing just behind the mid point of the firing line, watching in opposite directions so the whole line is under our eyes and talking about... Guns of-course!

My partner suddenly starts shouting CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE and running down the firing line in the direction that is to my back. I repeat the command and head the opposite way down the firing line to confirm that all the weapons are being made safe. As I'm doing this, I glance over my shoulder to see just what is up. There is an elderly gentleman (old fool really) carrying his target down range wile people are shooting! I run back down the line in his direction, checking open actions wile my partner is yelling at the fool - then chasing him downrange and pulling him back. Of course we kicked him out....

Once again, do not ever assume that the people next to you on the rage know what they are doing. Keep your eyes open and remember that anyone on the range can call an emergency cease fire.
lrgcal4fun

Postby BrianB » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:44 am

Wow, that's pretty crazy lrgcal4fun, how does someone not understand they can shot someone, or get shot themselves for that matter, at a gun range? How can people that seem intelligent, raise children, buy a house, hold a job, etc., otherwise be so stupid when it comes to guns? I can't claim to be the smartest or safest or anything else but it really does not take a lot of effort to just do basic gun safety, just don't point a gun at someone else, or put yourself in front of a gun with your story in mind, and no one can get hurt barring some really strange event. Amazing.
BrianB

Postby robalan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:38 pm

They have a fellow in custody involved in the shooting of the guy at a PA Game range. I guess the shooting was to get the rifle for a militia.
robalan

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter