>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

If live alone, what's quick place for gun?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

If live alone, what's quick place for gun?

Postby Rocket11213 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:59 pm

What is good suggestion for putting a gun hangun for quick access to in the event middle night break in? forget about closets and in the closet put gun in safe and have trig lock on it. during a break in one I would be completly scared and stratled not seeing well ,since waking up. I want close easy reach or near by to it to protect my self. Suggestions were to keep the gun? I still can keep speed loader near by to load it. and or I hear down south they keep guns loaded and few in diffrent locations though house., thats the way to have protection, now days they don;t point the finger at why is burglar an or murder doing trespassing , B & E and bradishing a weapon. they point the finger at the home owner.!
Rocket11213

Postby Will_Carry » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Find a book that you can hollow out and put your pistol in. Then you can keep it by the bed or where ever you need it.

I read every night so I keep a few books on my bedside table.

One of them is hollowed out and contains a Glock 36 with a Crimson Trace laser guard plus and second magazine.

Find a book that you don't need that is big enough and thick enough. Take a piece of wax paper and separate the first few pages and the outer cover, from the rest of the book. Then take some Elmer's glue and rub it on the bottom pages. When the glue dries you will be able to take a box cutter and start carving around the pages. Leave a 1/2" to 3/4" of paper on the outside of the pages. Start cutting out the pages. This is the hard part. After you have cut out the pages the pistol should fit inside the book and the book should close and look normal. You can carry this book around with you when you feel the need.

My second choice would be to take the pistol out and lay it on the bedside table at night so it will be easily accessible then put it up during the day.

Many instructors will suggest that you keep the pistol far enough away that you have to get out of bed to get it. The 3 feet rule, so you don't wake up half asleep and shoot your spouse. I don't wake up half asleep. So I keep my pistol within easy access.

Practice drawing and pointing your pistol (unloaded) just like you would if you wake up to a noise. Practice a lot. The more you practice, the less likely you are to be a deer in the headlights. Practice until it becomes second nature. Many people freeze when the hear a bump in the night. You don't want to freeze. You also don't want to be afraid and freaked out to go to sleep at night. Practicing will give you confidence and alleviate the fears.

I don't keep pistols scattered through the house. It gets too confusing. If you feel the need, keep one on you. Good luck with all this. I am not an expert on home defense but I have studied it and have studied Tsun Tsu.
Will_Carry

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 pm

There are any number of combinations that make sense for a homeowner that lives by themself. Providing you're prepared to make your home safe if anyone, namely children enter it and have access to your firearms. With that thought safely considered you can conceal or store a loaded firearm in any number of places. I'm not familiar with NJ law so I can't suggest you break any laws, so if I suggest something you can't legally do there, deal with it. First of all, if you live alone, I would store my self defense weapon fully loaded, round in the chamber, cocked with the safety on! If NJ law doesn't allow that, well.... I would tell them that you quickly loaded it prior to using it to defend yourself.

You can keep a firearm in your nightstand, especially if that's where you'll be during a midnight B and E or home invasion. I can't determine where you can get to your weapon the fastest in your home, so that's something you have to decide. I keep a shotgun, fully loaded, cocked, safety on, in a bedside rifle rack that holds a single rifle or shotgun in a PVC cradle that fits between the mattress and box spring. It is completely hidden by the bedspread once the bed is made. It's very handy and easy to find in the middle of the night! If you're unfamiliar with firearms or even if you know them well, many schools of thought suggest that there should be at least three steps between waking and firing. That's to hopefully assure you're awake before pulling that trigger. You don't want to be asleep and make a fatal mistake. That is up to you and isn't a bad idea. Wake up startled, stand up and take at least one step to retrieve your firearm, some say load it at this point (I say it should be loaded), cock (or unlock) and be prepared. The call to 911 should be squeezed in here as circumstances allow. My priority is to have my firearm in hand before I reach for the phone. You may not have a chance if your decision is opposite that.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Mik3e » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Think also of a good defensive position in the event of a break in. At my place I can stand behind a chest of drawers and see down the hallway, so I have a handgun on top. If there's an intruder at night I can take a couple of steps from bed and be in a good position to assess the situation.
Mik3e

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:06 am

You need to give thought to using a proper flashlight or laser at night. Just remember that both methods work equally well for the intruder, especially a laser. You can blind an assailant with a tactical light, but used improperly, it can do the same to you. As well as signalling your position like the laser. The most important thing to tell you is that whatever you do and I mean anything you decide to do, should include proper training from a qualified instructor. I can't impress on you how important this recommendation is.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby kristym » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:19 pm

I keep my revolver loaded 3 feet from my bed on a table, but in an open box so I can close the lid when I want. There are no children in my household, so I feel comfortable with this. I want to get a shotgun to keep downstairs...loaded and ready so am looking for suggestions on what to get.
kristym

Postby g4l » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:00 am

I keep a 1911 w/ extended mag in a bedside holster http://crossbreedholsters.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx. I also have a second pistol within reach, usually in a holster attached to the headboard, (which would be concealed by pillows), or on the floor with a shirt thrown over it, (I'm weary about having a pistol visible to an intruder). I keep a gearbag hanging from the headboard also, with flashlights, spare batteries, magazines, and a folding knife at easy access. The bag can also easily be slung over My shoulder if I need to be mobile. http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/JUMBO-L-E-O-4p1315.htm

I should note I have no children in the house.
g4l

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Hey Kristy,

Did you happen to find that carabiner we discussed recently? I found an outfit that has several, but here's a nice one under $4 bucks! http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/TAC-LINK-35p1111.htm

tigwelder56

Postby robalan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Hmm...maybe I worry too much, but I would be concerned the intruder would get to the loaded shotgun before me if it were downstairs.
robalan

Postby smith6906 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:04 pm

quick place is wherever you are. even if you have to holster it and bring it with you around the house, thats the best bet, a long gun , somewhere close to your bed when your asleep or behind the couch when your downstairs.......nowhere near the front door however, if the door comes down they will get it before you.
smith6906

Next

Return to Gun Chatter