>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need Advice for Home Defense

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby HenryLeverAction » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:30 pm

isn't the .380 ammo more than a 9mm too? I don't know why anyone would even want to have a .380 gun? maybe less recoil? I have no experience with the round except for the power and such. Never shot them.
HenryLeverAction

Postby whitehood » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Use of birdshot at anything but strict home defense at across room combat distances is really foolish and no accomplished instructor in combat shotgun would recommend this. If anything choose the Federal Tactical Load with reduced velocity. Whitehood loves tactical shotguns and their possibilites.
whitehood

Postby lindrith » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:33 pm

For home defense I keep a Ruger 357 revolver in the night table - no jamming mags, feed ramp malfunctions.
lindrith

Postby itchyfinger » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:55 pm

I recently bought a Ruger P345 .45. Out of the box it shot to the left but adjusted the windage site so that the right side of the site is flush with the slide. Now it is accurate as hell. Have never had jamming problems. I keep two mags loaded, one of which is in the gun, no round in the chamber, maybe the sound of the slide operating will scare them off. I keep another two mags empty, and just for chits and giggles I rotate them in pairs every 6 months or when I go to the range, the empty two are now loaded and the loaded two are now empty.
itchyfinger

Postby itchyfinger » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:09 pm

When I was a cop I carried a 9mm, it wouldn't even kill a dog, seriously, so I went to a .45. The best weapon I ever carried when I was a cop was a .41 mag. Not much kick, not such a snappy ear shattering BANG like a .357. I love that gun. For home defense? ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers. If you live where not a lot of people around and aren't worried about over penetration, get a .41 mag or .44 special (another awesome gun). If you live in something like an apartment complex where you worry about the round going into another apartment, I'd get a .45 235gr or 9mm, but that's just me
itchyfinger

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:27 pm

While I do appreciate a .41mag (and own one) it's not a good self defense caliber at all. Protection from wildlife sure! It's a little light for big bear country but is still plenty adequate.

I say its a poor defense round because it's an obscure caliber and there aren't many manufacturers making bullets for one and when you find em, they ain't cheap. Most are not designed as an anti personnel round anyway... 44 special follows this same logic.

But like you said; To each their own, right!

9mm wont kill a dog? I think I'll just leave that alone........
beltbuckle

Postby coolram04 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:09 pm

When it comes to home defense. You have to look at alot of things to figure out what works best for you. The best home defense weapon is a short barrel 12 gauge shotgun. A light bird load will work in the home. Anyone that says it won't kill someone doesn't have a clue. You can look at all of the videos that you want, but that is in a controled environment and they are probably shooting farther away than the distance in the average home. If you are looking to have a personnel defense gun then a revolver is a good way to go. You have a better selection of calibers these days.
coolram04

Postby whitehood » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:05 am

I'm going to take a deep breath and avoid the birdshot and 9mm comments.

However, the 41 magnum cartridge and revolvers are a fascinating bit of history. The big question is how do you screw up something so good? As you are well aware the 41 has been on life support for some time. Remington has a history of making some really superb cartridges then allowing them to die, the 6mm and 260 Remington rifle cartridges being prime examples of better and perhaps the best not quite making it.

Historically the 41 was born in 1964 as a LEO weapon in the days when men were men, women were not men and those who really knew how to shoot, either carried 357 revolvers with full power loads or 1911's. Size and recoil were a problem but if the original ideas of the innovators were followed this would have been less of a problem. Still it wasn't ideal and technology came along and made it obsolescent if not outright obsolete as a LEO weapon/cartridge. Loaded down it was an excellent police weapon in a time where effective HP ammunition didn't exist or was in its infancy of development. Loaded up it rivaled the 44 and had better ballistics. For those who could shoot it the 41 was loved as a LEO weapon. Unfortunately, a lot of things put the 41 on the banana peel to the grave, including the politics of the time. PC had just begun and the idea of a "magnum" pistol putting holes into bad guys was as abhorrent to the liberals of the day as the "Black Talon" ammunition of the early 90's was to liberals of that time. In fact the word "magnum" was a liberal dirty buzzword for that era, much like the term "assault weapon" is used today by the socialits ilk. Many liberal prosecutors/ trial lawyers still use this term to describe intent to kill when trying to put lawabiding citizens in jail or steal their money for exercising their 2nd amendment rights. The 41 magnum helped advanced the liberal PC movement. How dare them ( LEO ) use a weapon/cartridge "almost" as powerful as a 44 magnum which can kill a bear against a criminal. Mike Savage is right, Liberalism is a mental illness.
whitehood

Postby Torgo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:52 pm

I think itchy said it best on this one, ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. Peace of mind, if that is a 9mm, .45, or a short-barreled 12 gauge, to each their own. If you know HOW to use it, and you can sleep safer knowing you have said weapon, then get what makes you feel comfortable and sleep well. Know what your buying, do your research.
Torgo

Postby GOANRA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Tig's link states. "Federal Personal Defense Shotshell...

in 12 gauge and 20 gauge... are loaded with #2 lead birdshot...a velocity of 1140 fps." is most effective.

However, a home defense arm may be needed when answering the doorbell & such. Kinda rude to have a double-barrel leveled at company. LOL

Better to have a sidearm, that can be drawn 'discreetly' and be concealed quickly.

The minimum caliber has usually been the .380acp with the max being the .44Mag. Most will fall in between, for a max distance of 12 feet.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter