>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need Advice for Home Defense

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby EmeryX » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think the ,357 Mag is going to be it. I'll let you know what I get.
EmeryX

Postby PARAGUY » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:23 am

EMERYX,ALL GREAT ADVICE BUT I USE A MOSSBERG 590 2 3/4 INCH #1 SHOT FOR HOME DEFENSE.REASONABLY PRICED AND VERY RELIABLE.THESE ARE MIL SPEC RATED AND VERY TOUGH.#1 SHOT IN MY OPINION DECREASES THE CHANCE OF COLLATERAL DAMAGE.
PARAGUY

Postby EmeryX » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Hey guys-

Just wanted to give you an update. I bought the Ruger SP-101. I really like it. I'm also thinking about getting a Glock 25 (it's a .380 caliber) for my wife and also as my backup.Just wonder what you guys think 9 Mil or .380? Thanks again for all the great advice.
EmeryX

Postby g4l » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Glocks chambered for .380 are not imported in the U.S.....Thank God!!LOL On the other hand, the Glock 17 or 19 in 9mm are popular.
g4l

Postby EmeryX » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:18 pm

Guess I'l be looking at the 9MM then, Thanks! What do you think of other .380's?
EmeryX

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:26 am

I've found myself being on the fence regarding this. I've been known to carry .32acp's and .380's quite often as my primary carry guns. In Florida, we have an average daily temperature of 90 with an equal humidity percentage. It's a friggin miserable place to spend much time outside. I live 95% of my life in shorts and a t-shirt. Carrying a full size pistol isn't easy, so I opt for pocket guns. I've got a Seecamp .32acp, an AMT .380 Back Up and a Taurus 850 CIA .38 Spec. that I can carry easily in a pocket holster. Any gun is better than no gun and too many people leave their larger handguns at home when convenience and concealability are an issue. So to me the whole issue of what you DO carry is a judgement call. Anything is better than nothing and shot placement trumps caliber everytime.

Here's a great website that explains the differences between the .380 and 9mm very well.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aast9mmv380a.htm
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby g4l » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:40 am

Tig; I have trouble believing You can't conceal a more powerful package like a Glock 27. Even in shorts and tee-shirt weather (yes, sometimes it gets a little warm in CT), I carry an aluminum frame (to cut the weight) full size 1911, at 3 o'clock, iwb, and put it at a slight forward cant to keep the grip from sticking out, (the darker the shirt the better). I find the flatness of the 1911 to be a great advantage over many other carry pistols. When I really need to cut the grip length down, I grab the 27, with a potent 10 rounds of .40, and can carry the bigger G23 13 round mag as a spare. Are You not trying hard enough??lol

EmeryX;

One thing I don't get about you Jersey boys is...why do you guys always want a tiny caliber? In Your horrible, commie State, hollow point ammunition is not legal for civilian use (to the best of My knowledge), so why not go with the big .45, if You must carry a ball round?? I see You said it would be for the Wife, but I must rebuttal that the .45 ball round recoil is not that potent. Sorry if I'm coming off pushy, I'm actually just curious.
g4l

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:58 pm

I guess a simple explanation Glocks is that I don't have a G27. The smallest large caliber pistol I have is my G23. I have all of the holsters, IWB, Paddle, etc. and none of them can hide the handle enough to conceal it 100% of the time (as currently dressed). If I'm standing, with my t shirt untucked, a black t shirt, I can keep it concealed. The problem begins when I walk or bend over, the butt of the pistol juts right out there! Even an untrained eye can tell that you have something hidden under your shirt and a LEO will know in a nano second. Then you'll find yourself in an unwelcome position with your hands on the wall or head on the ground! I don't have the funds to spend on a new pistol, as much as I'd like to! So as the Great One said, "Make what you have, work". When I lived in the northern climate, I was able to easily carry my large pistols without a hint of their presence. Unfortunately in this state, which is fairly lenient, will put the screws to you if they suspect you're carrying, if visible printing is witnessed. They claim it's frightening to the sheeple! Another example of the "Wimps Win" again. But I will continue to seek out the perfect holster! I'll also continue to practice those cranial-cervical shots! I still feel comforted knowing I have something instead of nothing...

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:14 pm

G4L,

Having Lived in both NY, and for the last 20 Yrs down here in Florida, and had a CCW in Both States, I have to agree with Tig, it is VERY Hard to Conceal down here! When I lived in NY, for at least 9 Months it was very easy having the benefit of Sweaters and Jackets to hide just about any Gun. But down here we have 12 Months where it is Very Hard to Conceal a Weapon of any larger size, like my G19 which is suppossed to be "Compact". I even once about a Yr. ago had the local Supermarket Mgr. (Publics) stop me and ask if he could see what I was hiding under my Shirt! (He had 5 other very large people with him!) Now I am no kid, but the big thing lately is kids, (*And many Adults!) are stealing expensive Steaks, Chops, Seafood etc! I was embarassed, just as was the Mgr. when I had to show him it wasn't anything from his Store, but it was my Gun Butt! The only good thing that came of it was he gave me a $10 Store Gift Certificate/Credit for the "Error" made! Plus, I was wearing a Black Tee-Shirt at the time! But as Tig mentioned, when you bend that handle will show as it did in my case. Luckilly it wasn't a Cop! Some Local Town Cops will give you a hard time, CCW or not. I have tried many Holsters, but usually just use a IWB paddle type for easy access.

Sometimes I feel like I don't even want to carry it, and depending on where I am going, sometimes I don't. It isn't easy when it's Hot ALL the time!

Bill

tigwelder56

Postby g4l » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:25 am

Sounds like you both are in need of the baby Glocks!lol
g4l

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter