>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need new gun!

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Need new gun!

Postby Ron11 » Wed May 02, 2007 6:26 am

I just started with the sport for few months and i'm planning to buy a gun for my own, which gun(s) would you guys give me as advice to buy or just to try. I'm looking for a gun that is accurate as it's realiable.

i haven't shot many of guns so i haven't got really that much experience with this. Please help me out!
Ron11

Postby weekendfunandgun » Wed May 02, 2007 11:35 am

Brands that fit the bill- Any HK, Glock, Sig, Springfield XD, Beretta (PX4 or 92fs), Smith & Wesson (M&P only) for semi-autos. All of these guns are great quality guns that are reliable and accurate. People like to jump on you saying that one is better than another, but it's really not a big enough difference to worry about. The one that feels best to you is the one that is best for you, every other opinion is usually derived from brand loyalty.

Guns to stay away from - Hi-Point, Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco, or any other gun that seems ridiculously low priced. They are that cheap for a reason, don't buy into the hype of a few people that say "oh, i've shot a hundred thousand rounds through my $130 pistol with no problems", they are fulll of crap. With ammo as expensive as it is, these jokers don't have enough money to buy as much ammo as they claim to have put through their gun. Think about it, would you spend $130 on a gun, and then $8,000 on ammo? If they have that much cash laying around, they would have bought a better gun!!

On revolvers - they are the king in terms of reliability and ease of use/cleaning/etc. Great guns for a first timer, but I wasn't sure if they were on your list. If so, Smith and Wesson and Ruger are excellent American made revolvers. Below that you have brands like Taurus and Rossi from Brazil, and various other makers. I have revolvers from each of these brands and they all work great.

A point to consider - you said you wanted two things "accurate" and "reliable". We already covered reliable. Now for accuracy - while many things go into making a gun accurate their is one thing that applies across the board, revolvers or semi-autos, any and every manufacturer - the longer the barrel the more accurate you will be. This is because a longer barrel has the front sight futher away from the rear sight than a short barrel gun does. The distance between the front and rear sight is called the "sight radius" and the bigger (longer) the sight radius the more accurately you will be able to line up your shots. So regardless of what kind or brand of gun you purchase, if accuracy is highly important to you, you'll want to get the "full size" or "tactical" (usually means an extended/threaded barrel) version of whatever you buy. Compact/Subcompact/Pocket guns can be great guns if you want them for concealed carry or personal defense that is always with you, but for pure accuracy they just don't compare to their full size big brothers.

Good luck with whatever you buy.
weekendfunandgun

Postby CONT2 » Wed May 02, 2007 3:37 pm

Damn weekend, that's a best seller you just wrote. LOL. But I agree with everything you said. The one thing I want to elaborate on is the difference between shooting for accuracy and shooting for defense.

There is a world of differense between shooting to blow out the red bullseye and hitting center mass.

When I first started going to the range, I was trying to be as accurate as possible. I was shooting a .45ACP. I finally realized that even if a round went slightly to the right or left, it would still be an effective shot if it were a person instead of a peice of paper. After that revelation, I shot confidently in the center of the target, imagining it to be an attacker.

Revolvers are better as far as reliability. There's just less shit to malfunction.

Ron11, go to a range and rent different calibers and sizes and brands to get a feel for what'll work for you...The End hahaha
CONT2

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed May 02, 2007 6:11 pm

Good information guy's! I lived in the SF Bay area for years and the word for that state is "restrictions". They'll fine you if you fart too loud! Good luck on your new purchase Ron.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby bigdawg » Wed May 02, 2007 7:20 pm

Ron

good info below. however the 1911 hasn't been

around for 98yrs for nothing. S&W makes a

gi specs for around $450. and if and when the

time comes, there are plenty of up grades you

can choose from.

the 1911 come in most of the popular cal.

ask how available replacment parts are and cost.

spare mag if you choose a auto-loader

them babies can get expensive.

good luck with your choice.

cocked & locked DAWG
bigdawg

Postby WheatSnackBread » Thu May 03, 2007 3:13 pm

I'm a huge fan of HK. They're a little more expensive, but I figure a gun is something you shouldn't compromise on. Perfect advice on the 1911's, by the way.
WheatSnackBread

Postby bigdawg » Thu May 03, 2007 5:38 pm

I shoot in a calvin ball league. the 1911's out shoot for

accurcy while the plastic have better time.

as a combat vet. i'll take accurcy over over speed

any day.

remember this bowling pins, steal drop, and paper don't

shoot back.

Thats the bottom line.

hit center mass DAWG
bigdawg

Postby WheatSnackBread » Thu May 03, 2007 5:45 pm

Who were u with?
WheatSnackBread

Postby bigdawg » Thu May 03, 2007 5:48 pm

10th mountain div