>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Lighter Springs

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Lighter Springs

Postby ExLimey » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:36 pm

Anyone know anything about putting lighter springs in a semi? I have a S&W 915 (9mm) that I'd like to shoot lighter powder loads through. I use it for 'plinking' so I'm trying to cut down the amount of powder used in my reloads. I went to the range today and apparently I'm skirting the lightest loads I can. I had a mag full (15 rounds) that jammed on each shell. I guess 4 grains of bullseye isn't enough (I did a test a few weeks ago and they worked fine, which is odd.)

Interesting to note, they worked fine through my Dad's Ruger P85.
ExLimey

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:21 pm

You can definitely lighten up your springs. I would recommend a trip down to talk with your local gunsmith. Chances are they'll have what you need or can get them pretty quick. Wolff makes a great spring, you might check their website to see what they have to say. I'll keep looking for more info as well.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:28 pm

I checked with Wolff and they offer several options. They offer a "Recoil Calibration Pak", it's a quantity of different springs at a lower price than picking them up singly. Here's the link but you'll probably have to enter it manually to get it to copy right.

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/1ndex_menu2NOF.html

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/Smit ... l#Numbered

The last one lists the pak for your SW 915. $31.49 and if you want to buy them individually it'll run you $7.89 per spring.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby MSGAmling » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:55 pm

I had the same problem with lighter loads and the recoil spring in a Beretta 96D. I had put in a heavier spring I bought from Midway, which worked well with heavier loads, but caused a stovepipe on about every 3rd round, and jams on several other rounds. After putting the lighter spring back in, there were no problems.
MSGAmling

Postby ExLimey » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:16 am

Thanks Tig, I owe you one.

That combo pack only has the heavier springs. I'll have to by the three smaller ones and try them out.

Thanks again.
ExLimey

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:35 am

I'm glad we were able to get things figured out. I want you to know that Wolff Springs are among the finest money can buy. You'll be happy with your purchase. I'm sure of that. Let me know how it works out.

Tig

tigwelder56

Postby ExLimey » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:57 am

Tig, I just ordered an 8 and 10 pound spring for my Smith. I talked to my Dad and I ordered him a combo pack for his Ruger P85. I even ordered some trigger springs for my King Cobra so I can competition shoot in double-action.

The light loads I had yesterday that wouldn't fire through my Smith worked in his Ruger. Looking at the Wolff site, his Ruger has an 11 lb spring standard, whereas my Smith has a 14lb spring standard.
ExLimey

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:48 pm

That's great! Now do me one favor, make sure you charge those shells with enough powder to get that bullet down and out of the barrel. A light spring will allow the gun to cycle but that could spell disaster if the bullet doesn't clear the barrel! Safety first!! I was glad to hear your Dad got in on the fun. Anytime Father and Son can get together and enjoy their time it's a good thing!

tigwelder56

Postby ExLimey » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:28 pm

Absolutely, I'm just looking to use a little less than 5.9 grains of powder in my reloads, not looking to find that end of the envelope!

I've been shooting with my Dad since I was about 10 (25 years now.) We had a 10 year break while we lived 3000 miles apart, but you can't beat it for father-son bonding, no matter what your age.
ExLimey

Postby MSGAmling » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:06 pm

I've found that 4.5 grains of Bullseye seems to work pretty well for target practice, when pushing a 115 gr. bullet, that is what my S&W Sigma seems to do the best with anyway. Accuracy seems pretty good with 4.5 grains. 4.9 grains seems to affect my pattern a bit.
MSGAmling

Next

Return to Gun Chatter