>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Suggestions for a starter rifle@median price range

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby FighterZER042 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:13 pm

great its looking better and better thanks again u guys for the help
FighterZER042

Postby weekendfunandgun » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:28 am

yeah man, that's a good price on that ruger . . . you could expect to pay that much or a little more for an SKS depending on the condition. I got one for my dad last year for $150 in excellent condition, but i practically stole it at that price. i doubt i could find another one as nice for that price again.

biggest difference is the caliber - ruger 10/22 is .22LR, SKS is (usually) 7.62X39mm. this means two things:

1. you wont be able to shoot the SKS at indoor ranges b/c the bullet is much too powerful

2. you will pay much more for ammo to feed that SKS, the place I buy online is $4 for a box of 20 rounds, plus shipping, and that's for the cheap shit!!

however, it's not all bad - the sks has some pros over the ruger:

1., it's more versatile - you could hunt with an SKS, more than just squirrels/rats, pretty good size game can be taken with that big bullet

2. i personally think the SKS is more fun to shoot b/c of that larger bullet size, but then again, that might not be necessary for someone buying their first gun.

either way you can't go wrong, both are excellent rifles. just depends on what you want to use it for.
weekendfunandgun

Postby ExLimey » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:14 pm

I've had my Ruger 10/22 19 years now, since I got if for my 15th birthday.

Go with the Ruger, you won't be sorry. I can't believe they're still that cheap.
ExLimey

Previous

Return to Gun Chatter