>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Thinking of buying a SKS...

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Thinking of buying a SKS...

Postby justinfluegel » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:01 pm

I don't currently own a rifle, but use a M16 often. I want a rifle that isn't super expensive but can be used for hunting as well as just fun out shooting. I also like that assult rifle "style" from being in the military.

I found out that the SKS is a very common rifle and comes in my favorite caliber, 7.62. Are they good guns or does their price fully represent their quality? Also, what is the best manufacturer (country of origin).

side note: my goal is to get a M14 (M1A) some day but not willing to spend that much on a rifle yet. My pistol is important.
justinfluegel

Postby weekendfunandgun » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:25 pm

A good friend of mine has an SKS and enough property to shoot it regularly. I bought an SKS for my father last year for fathers day and he shoots out at the property also. They both have Yugo rifles. neither one has ever had a jam or issue with dirt cheap ammo. they both fire that Wolf brand FMJ and JHP with no problems. Definitely worth the money!!
weekendfunandgun

Postby jdeangelis99 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:34 am

Just influegel you in the military?? I wish i could have a m16 but my state won't allow it
jdeangelis99

Postby jdeangelis99 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:34 am

Just influegel you in the military?? I wish i could have a m16 but my state won't allow it
jdeangelis99

Postby MSGAmling » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:02 am

I bought a Chinese SKS several years ago, and found it to be a pretty decent gun for the price. The Norinco ammo was dirt cheap at the time, so it was a great plinking rifle, for up to about 100 yards. The folding bayonet may a great monopod as well. I never tried hunting with it, but suppose that with the right ammo that would work. I have read that the Yugo SKS's, along with many other rifles they manufactured, were manufactured without chromium bores, which causes them to wear out a little quicker, and require a little more care to keep them in decent shape.
MSGAmling

Postby WheatSnackBread » Thu May 03, 2007 2:59 pm

I own a Russian one and it's pretty good. I went so far as to put a new stock on it and get a bigger mag. Don't waste your time on putting any optics on it though... All in all it's a good rifle, but you get what you pay for. That said, it's very reliable and fun to shoot. More of a plinker than anything, though.
WheatSnackBread

Return to Gun Chatter