>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Ar-15 worth getting?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby beltbuckle » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:15 pm

I didnt mean that to bash on bushmaster per say. An AR-15 is an AR-15 is an AR-15. By lower end I meant price wise, I guess I should have specified. They make a fine rifle, but there is better out there, at least out of the box. Allthough for a little coin you can make a bushmaster just as good if not better than the best!
beltbuckle

Postby beltbuckle » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:15 pm

I didnt mean that to bash on bushmaster per say. An AR-15 is an AR-15 is an AR-15. By lower end I meant price wise, I guess I should have specified. They make a fine rifle, but there is better out there, at least out of the box. Allthough for a little coin you can make a bushmaster just as good if not better than the best!
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:41 am

Hey Dawg, glad to hear your opinions. We need just that, more opinions on the site. I personally do my research and homework when spending my hard earned $$'s on anything. Especially a firearm! If I can't trust it as it comes out of the box I'm certainly not going to waste money on buying third party items to trick out a firearm that has already proven itself unreliable. At the same time, I'm going to spend my money (as much as I can anyway!) on upgrading my firearms as much as I possibly can, once they have proven themself totally reliable out of the box. I'm not going to worry about the function of my firearms because of my upgrades either. You mention that the more you do the more there is to cause you problems. That's true in every facet of life but if you spend your money wisely and intelligently you shouldn't be overly paranoid that you made a life threatening error. Every potential life changing decision we make needs to be made as intelligently as possible. But you know, sometimes even the best laid plans have problems. Even the best product made on Monday would've been just a little bit different (better?) on Wednesday afternoon. But and a big but, we all know as responsible gun owners and practitioners, that no matter what we do, when we buy it and how "sure" we are of our gun's reliability, we ALWAYS proof test the firearm. And Buckle, I've read documentation that puts the Bushmaster on an equal plane with anything on the market. If you're convinced that spending more money will get you a better AR, I'm going to have to say you're spending money you don't need to, if money is your only criteria. If you haven't noticed, I'm a Bushmaster fan!! LOL!! What was your first clue? I'd like to get a picture section available for the AR owners. AF, can you help us out here? Thanks!!

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby bigdawg » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:32 pm

hey tig, good to hear your response. you hit the bulleye.

i would prefer to build my own to my spects and my

shooting level some people just don't know what this

rifle is capable of doing, and still keep it tactical.

some may think i'm crazy pie plate groups at 500 meters.

w/ 1-7 twist

w/ 1-10 drops to around 300

shorter barrels less and less.

so as Tig said you better know what you want unless

you have one of them money trees.

glad i found this sight, hard find other with my intrest

shoot long and straight DAWG.
bigdawg

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:57 pm

Dawg, Pie Plate at 500 meters w/1-7? and 300 meters w/1-10? You're talking 5.56, right? I'm curious what you suggest for a 200 yard shot, 5.56, no breeze with a 1-9- 18" heavy barrel. What would be your minimum & maximum grain bullet? You need to put your talent to use in the land that Saddam ruined! I hope you're offering your knowledge to any shooter that wants it. It's important to share a qualification like that! Something tells me you already are... Keep it up, I'm glad to have you as a member here. All we need now is to set up a field trip so we can all share notes! That would be too cool! Like you, I really enjoy this forum and all the great people I've met. Nothing but good!!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby bigdawg » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:34 pm

hey Tig.

no thanks played over there the first time my

body can't take the heat anymore. but believe me

the thought had crossed my mind a time or two.

too answer you ? for 200 yards.

that 1-9 18" should be real close too the standard

A1 20" 1-10.

you need too sight in at 25 yards.

if you do that your on at 250 yards with no holdover.

a 55gr or a 62gr never messed with the others.

never used scopes on one one of these.

the tech books say the 1-7 20" is capable of nice group

out to 800 meters, but i can't see that far.

thanks for the response.

DAWG
bigdawg

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:56 pm

My thanks for the information and a BIG thanks for your service in Allah's Oven. I spent several years serving as a Navy Corpsman and just missed Nam and was out before Gulfwar 1. I know what you mean though when you say you thought about going back a time or two. I think like many Vet's, all they'd have to do is tell me that they needed my help and I'd be on the bus. My nephew just came back, his Humvee hit an IED, none of them died but it still killed something in their minds. It has really hurt a lot of people, regardless of their physical wounds. I pray for them all and would like to see this done and over. HOOOOO---RAAAAAAAA!!! God Bless America!

tigwelder56

Postby bigdawg » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:12 am

no problem glad to help.

let me know this goes for you. you won't be

disappointed.if you have the A2 rear sight

just start raising and aim center mass.

it really is a beautyful thing.

DAWG
bigdawg

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:41 am

Roger that! I'm waiting on a couple of springs so I can put my P-shooter back together. I've got field kits and kits to fix kits but the one damn spring I needed wasn't in my toolbox! I won't let that happen again. I didn't prep the buffer assembly right and when I charged it I sheared the buffer retainer spring in half. I can only blame myself for not assuring alignment. I've had that apart so many times I can't count and then one time you slip up and you've got an 8 pound stick in your hands!! I hate screwing up...

tigwelder56

Postby jdeangelis99 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:07 am

Thanx for the insight i got my tax refund today and im going out and buying a new AR-15
jdeangelis99

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter