>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

New To Guns: S&W 9mm

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

New To Guns: S&W 9mm

Postby knownalien » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:16 pm

I just purchased a S&W 9VE. I have all of the needed accessories and I am psyched!! I don't have a laser for it, but it would be nice. Biggest reason is that if an intruder was not scared off by the sound of the (what do you call it?) "cocking" then seeing a laser in his vicinity might.

anyhow, I chose it because I went to a gun store that had a shooting range and tested several revolvers up to a .357. frankly, I thought the recoiled was too much for me and since this weapon was to be used by my wife too I opted for a semi-auto. I have yet to shoot it, but I am sure it won't kick like a .357. I have a lot of questions and the salesguy was cool about giving me a mini-training session the day I went to pick it up. I chose a semi-auto without fear of it jamming because as the salesguy noted it would usually be due to a dirty barrel, cheap ammo, or a poor shooting technique which is too weak and floppy and passive so that the next bullet doesn't engage fully. It made sense to me. I will clean my gun religiously. Some storage questions:

1) I often see the gun in pics cocked back and locked, like when it is done with the last round, is this a good way to store it or will it eventually wear out the spring?

2) my gun came with a safety device (dumbest I ever saw) which put a fake bullet into the chamber (a 9mm round allegedly) and a rod went into the muzzle meeting the fake round. Needless to say the fake round would not fit right and got stuck. I spent the whole night using a needle nose trying to get the "jacket" of the fake round out of my barrel!! Did I harm my gun? I barely scrathed the finish and did not jam anything into the barrel that might cause damage to the swirl inside.

3) my gun has a polymer base (feels like plastic). does that mean it will decay faster or is a cheapy?

4) if a gun owner does everything right, are jams as likely to happen?

5) what should you do if your gun jams? Obviously, never point it at your face or anything other intended would-be target.

6) This is what I own too:

http://superpageshosting.com/gunvaultco ... tstandard/

The buttons are rather hard to depress and I am a full grown male. Was this intentional?

7) please recommend a laser sight for my gun. I am really getting it for the scare factor.

8) I live in a town home and while I realistically never fear an intruder will actually try to break into my house, I have two precious little girls and frankly I do not have the muscles to defend them should the necesity arise, hence the gun. Since I have neighbors on both sides, is there a technique or type of ammo that represents less danger to my neighbors?

9) my gun did come with a saftey device which is a padlock with a really long cord. the cord is to pass through the magazine slot and the exit port of a spent/ejected round. However, (as I indicate above) I can lock the gun in uncocked mode and slip in the "knoose-like lock" or I can temporarily cock the barrel long enough to insert the knoose lock then softly unlock it which leaves the cable interrupting the closure of the barrel. Which is preferred and am I doing anything wrong? I chose not to use it since my vault is really good.
knownalien

Postby knownalien » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:27 am

ok. i shot it for the first time and spoke with some folk. as far as some answers to the questions below, which seem insanely stupid no doubt to many, I will post what I discovered.

1) it is NOT a good idea to store a weapon cocked back (as when the last round is spent). therefore saftey devices like those that require a cable to go through the barrel and bullet ejection slot are no desireable.

2) my gun was not damaged by this goofy saftey device.

3) many guns come in this polymer make and since it is seperated from the actual "explosion" it should last for a very long time, and in any event they make replacement parts for it.

4) assuming that only quality factory made ammo is used, jamming is not likely to occur as long as the weapon is well cleaned and the user does not shoot with a poor technique . . like floppy wrist.

5) if the gun jams, slap the mag and try to rechamber it or eject it.

6) the gun vault that I own will have that "feel" forever. It's fine.

7) apparently the lasers are so expensive that it is hard to justify their purchase. I'll pass.

8) I have to be aware of my surroundings if I decide to shoot an intruder. There is no magic bullet that will put my neighbors in any less danger.

9) the knoose lock/cable is horrible. It does not work well with a pistol. A revolver? yes. Rifle or shotgun? yes.

I put nearly 100 rounds through my pistol on the first day and it felt great. My only concern while I was shooting was that all of my shots were off down and to the right. I am right-handed and used the left hand to cup my right hand. I think the pressure is something like 60/40 (left hand/right hand). I couldn't figure it out. Any ideas?
knownalien

Postby g4l » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:57 pm

Your questions aren't stupid knownalien, we all had to learn at one point in time. You've seemed to gather tons of information very quickly, keep it up. Talk to people and research, the more you know the better. Your going to want to use "Full Metal Jacket" (FMJ) ammo for practice or target and "Jacketed Hollow Points" (JHP) for defense. Now once you find a defense round your interested in you need to test it for reliability. JHP's are more expensive but after the test you'll only use them for carry or home defense, and of course occasional use at the range to keep your feel for them, as they are much more powerful then target rounds and depending on the brand you pick they will have more kick to them. A good test is 100 rounds with flawless action, if you get a few hang ups you don't want that brand in your gun, this is the ammo that MUST work when you need it to. A good defense round in 9mm is the "Corbon 115g +P 9mm", the best prices Ive found for Corbon ammo are at GlockWorld.com. But also ask around for other recommendations, see what guys with your gun like and suggest. Good luck.
g4l

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:00 pm

as far as the low and to the right, I believe that shooting low on a regular basis is supposed to be due to anticipated recoil. Also if i remember correctly that being to the right is too little trigger finger. Go back to your local range and ask them for a shooting chart. Its a circle chart cut into a pie shape and it will tell give you a good idea of what you might be doing wrong. Also remeber how you stand, hold the gun, or even if you tip your head might affect your targeting

good luck
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby MSGAmling » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:17 am

Great questions, and as glocks4life said, you are picking up on things very quickly. For what you and the wife are using the gun for, I'd forget about the laser. If you are the target of an intoxicated or drug crazed home invader, the little red do probably won't be noticed by them anyway. If you are storing the gun in a vault, I wouldn't worry about the safety lock on the gun itself. Check your state laws first though. Some states may require a gun lock if there are children in the house, even if you lock it in a safe. If you need an additional lock on the firearm, get a good trigger lock instead of the cable lock that came with the gun. I think you will find it much more convenient.
MSGAmling

Postby knownalien » Wed May 09, 2007 11:46 pm

2 more questions:

1) I put about 50 rounds through my gun. It got warm. Since half of it is a type of plastic, should I be concerned not to heat it up too much by practising too many rounds at once on it?

2) I talked to the gunshop owner about jams and he seemed to this I was talking about a mischambered bullet or one that would not chamber at all. his advice was to slap the mag and pull that action back. BUT, my main concern is when a round DOES engage but for some reason the firing pin or other mechanics prevents the gun from firing. This situation means the gun could fure at any moment. So, what do you do in this situation?
knownalien

Postby MSGAmling » Sat May 12, 2007 12:33 am

Don't worry about it being warm. At the rate of fire you are putting through it, I don't think that there is any danger of any damage to the barrel or other components. About the only weapons that you have to worry about the heat of the barrel on are full automatic weapons with a much higher cyclic rate of fire than any of the semi-autos out there.

Unless you will never, ever, ever, have the occassion to use your firearm in the defense of yourself or others, by all means, wait a full 10 seconds after any misfire, to allow a round to potentially "cook off" and fire. I have only seen a cook off on a "hang fire" once in my life time, and that was at a military range with a fully automatic weapon that was glowing red from the heat of putting over 500 rounds down range in around a minute. I've never seen it on a semi-auto handgun, but the manuals say that waiting 10 seconds is the prudent thing to do. I guess it is prudent if you want to avoid practicing putting your firearm back in commission right away to face any potential threats. I think that the guy at the gun shop gave you the best advice. Tap, Rack, and assess the situation, and put another round into the target, if desired. Under stress you will function as you train. If you are training to wait 10 seconds, that is what you will do in a life threatening situation as well.

The worst that is likely to happen if you tap the magazine and rack in a fresh round, and the ejected round on the ground cooks off and bursts, is that there may be a few brass fragments from the casing in the air. You wear eye protection anyway, so there is little danger. If you should be one of the few lucky enough to actually have a misfire eventually go off, you will have a story to tell at cocktail parties for years.
MSGAmling

Postby agonist » Sat May 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Check out this site www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

There are a bunch of printable targets on here, included is the aforementioned pie target that suggests what you may be doing wrong based on where you're missing.

When you type it in don't put a space between the slash and pdf. For some reason when you post a URL on here it adds a space after slashes.
agonist

Postby knownalien » Sat May 12, 2007 8:50 pm

thank you very much MSGAmling.

I never thought about the possibility of a cooked round being ejected and then subsequently going off. I imagine they are just as deadly that way???
knownalien

Postby MSGAmling » Sat May 12, 2007 11:06 pm

Knownalien, Once they have been ejected from the weapon, they are no more deadly than a firecracker. Once the casing is no longer enclosed in the barrel, the pressure will bust the casing at its weakest point. The bullet may not even be dislodged, but it is, it isn't likely to do any damage in the few inches it will travel. It's sort of like when you throw out old ammo into a fire. You get a few pops, but no real damage.
MSGAmling

Next

Return to Gun Chatter