>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

+P safe for XD?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

+P safe for XD?

Postby mrpoman99 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:17 pm

I have a 9mm SA- XD Sub compact. I know some + P ammo isn't safe to put through you peace maker, I'm wondering if 165g and or any + P ammo is safe for the SA-XD SC frame? For some reson I can't find any info on this......

-Sean
mrpoman99

Postby g4l » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:41 am

I can't speak for that particular gun, but +P rounds may hurt performance in the smaller models. I know the compact 1911's have a problem because it forces the slide back to fast causing feeding problems. Most modern guns can handle the added pressure but it will wear on certain brands. Unfortunately gun manuals don't really address this issue well, kind of leaving a gray area.
g4l

Postby weekendfunandgun » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:29 am

I would say that if the manual doesn't specifically say it's safe, don't try it. My SW .38 says in the manual it's safe, and even has the "+P" stamped on the barrel.

I doubt it would cause the gun to fail immediately, but if it isnt designed to run it, you could do irreversible damage over time.
weekendfunandgun

Postby MSGAmling » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:31 am

I checked through all of the literature from the factory, that came with my XD. They say nothing about +P ammo exclusions, in the manual, or on the warranty, so I have to assume that they will stand behind the weapon if there is a KB with a factory +P round. They do have a bunch of cautions if you have the XD with the ported barrel though, if this is what you have. They go so far as to recommend only Winchester or Federal factory ammo for the ported barrels, and give a big caution against using handloads or frangible bullets with this barrel. They don't address +P with the ported barrel, so would assume that they are fine.
MSGAmling

Return to Gun Chatter