>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

First gun, Help....

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

First gun, Help....

Postby DanB24 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:15 am

I am looking at getting my first gun, I am looking at spending somewhere around 300-350 at the most. Not too concerned with any specifics, just need something in the house, with enough power to feel protected, not looking at carrying quite yet, just want a house and range gun. Thanks alot for any suggestions, Dan.
DanB24

Postby keepmsafe » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:28 am

Dan,

IMHO a good 1st gun/house gun would be a reliable 6 shot revolver in .357 Magnum w/a 4" barrel. Reasons---the .357 Magnum allows you to use a broad selection of different ammunition, including .357 Magnum, and .38 Special (a bit less powerful, and perhaps less expensive). This choice will allow you to find a load you're comfortable with. Hopefully that will lead to you often heading to the range for practice. There are inumerable articles on the subjects of power, penetration, recoil, indoor use, outdoor use, etc. for these two cartridges. The 4" barrel will provide you with good stability, more accuracy and reduced recoil (over say a 2" barrel). A revolver because once loaded, when you pull the trigger, it goes "BANG!" No worries if there is a round in the chamber? Do I have to rack the slide? Is the saftey on? Am I gripping it properly to avoid injuring my hand or hampering operation? These latter are all questions you may have with a pistol. I have nothing against pistols, in fact you may choose to "go there" someday, but you asked about a 1st gun, so for simplicity and reliability I would start out with a 4" .357 or .38 revolver. Remember, practice, practice, practice. Good luck, and welcome!!! Best wishes!

Ron
keepmsafe

Postby jdeangelis99 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:47 am

Do you live in a apartment or house cause or have kids in your house.. a 357 is a great gun just becarfull caus some rounds will go thru walls and you don't want to go from protecting your family to be the one killing them
jdeangelis99

Postby weekendfunandgun » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:23 pm

Look at the revolvers made by "Rossi". I have the 462 (2", .357, stainless steel) and I got it for around $300 brand new. They also make them in blued steel instead of stainless for less money - you can also get one with a longer barrel. It doesn't have quite the same finish/feel as some of my other revolvers, but it doesnt sound like you are buying this gun to show it off to other gun people. The Rossi revolvers work just fine . . .they are inexpensive, not cheap.

As for ammo, whatever caliber you choose, be sure to use Hollow Points for defensive ammo - any full metal jacket stuff is just fine for practice.

Hope you find a good deal and enjoy your purchase!!
weekendfunandgun

Postby CONT2 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:35 pm

What about Charter Arms? I hear they're made, patterned after S&W revolvers, just not with the same quality. I see them for $350.00 new. They come in .38, .44mag.

In fact, check them out on this very site...
CONT2

Postby agonist » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:03 pm

All are good suggestions, I might also suggest going with a six inch barrel in .357. The first centerfire handgun I ever shot was a Dan Wesson .357 6in. barrel revolver and .38special ammo.

The six inch barrel was VERY stable and easy to shoot well and I shot a very reasonable group at 25 yds. my first time.

Since you don't seem interested in concealed carry the extra barrel length won't matter. The 6in. barrel will also offer you better accuracy for range shooting

Don't hesitate to buy used if you have a reputable gun dealer to go to.
agonist

Postby bigdawg » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:19 pm

lots of good info here. i agree to buy used only

from a well respected dealer. the .45 in my opinion

is but you know what they say about them.(opinion)

however shoot what ever ammo you can afford

at the range, but when you bring it home use a safety

slug. (glaser) less chance of harming someone else.

good luck!!!!
bigdawg

Return to Gun Chatter