>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Carry Weapon

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby weekendfunandgun » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:47 pm

yeah, i'll bet the old guns would show cracks, but i am really curious about new ones (or at least close to new). that Xray test seems like it would be much tougher than ISO. i would like to compare some of the higher end guns that all claim superior class status - glock, MP, HK, XD, Sig, etc.
weekendfunandgun

Postby CONT2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:08 pm

ExLimey, don't deprive yorself of a used S&W or Ruger for a reasonable price. If you look hard enough and diligently enough, you may find one that was well taken care of, with not a lot of wear and tear.

I've seen used guns that were bought a few months prior, that the original owner decided to go another route. Because the gun left the store, it's used. Even if it was never fired.

You may get lucky...
CONT2

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:11 pm

With the weapons you list I'm not sure what you'd end up with because they're polymer. You'd get a good view of the molded in rails. I think the slides are going to be fairly clear of cracks but I'd like to look at the barrels of the guns that shoot the hotter rounds. I think really though that you're not going to see too much in the way of metalurgic failure in the new class of weapons. They go through all kinds of quality control and they pull one off the line frequently and really take it apart to look for that kind of thing. One might get through occasionally but rarely. Now if you start looking at the Lorcin models and the Saturday night specials I think you'd find more than you could imagine.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby ExLimey » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:52 am

I originally was considering a variety of Taurus models but after reading some reviews on another site and talking with the Sheriff Deputy who took my prints (he had one and had nothing but trouble) I ruled them out.

I live in the sticks and by that, I mean, sticks. I live in a small town of about 200 people. There are few, if any gun shops within 200 miles of here. There are several people with FFLs who can get me whatever I want, I just can't do any hands on shopping, which really sucks.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Rossi or the Charter Arms. I'm all set to reload .357 and .38, so no need to get extra brass, bullets and new dies.
ExLimey

Postby jdeangelis99 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:15 am

damn that sounds fun
jdeangelis99

Postby weekendfunandgun » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:21 am

Exlimey -I have owned a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special and a Rossi 462. I like to buy/sell/trade guns quite a bit. Of the two, I still have the Rossi, and have no plans on selling or trading that one. You just can't get a better value:$$ ratio on a magnum power revolver out there.

The action is smoother on the Rossi, the finish is better on the Rossi (if you prefer stainless steel that is), and the grip/feel is about the same. The only thing better on the Charter Arms was the trigger was a bit lighter in DA, but I usually cock the hammer anyway so I dont really care about that.
weekendfunandgun

Postby jdeangelis99 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:17 am

Im looking for a 357 revolver for a carry weapon any ideas?
jdeangelis99

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:23 am

If you can find one, I was always partial to the Colt Python in 4 inch. What an absolutely beautiful gun! But it would be fairly heavy. S&W make several models in their titanium lightweight line. A 357 load from a 2" pistol kicks like a mule and makes follow up shots difficult, keep that in mind.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby jdeangelis99 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:35 am

what would you recomend..I allready have a glock 23 but im looking for a revolver
jdeangelis99

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:47 am

JD, that's a pretty wide question! I suggest you go down to your local dealer and actually look at them, pick them up and compare. I bought a Taurus 850 Stainless and it's already in the shop and it's heavy. If I had to do it all over I'd look at the S&W offereings. If you get a 357 I would shoot 38Spl +P's in it for the sake of control. That's just my opinion but the magnum load in a small revolver is nothing short of holding onto a small cannon and it hurts. Not to mention a bitch to control and provide accurate follow up shots. I think that's why you've seen such a huge switch to semi auto's by LE and serious civilian shooters. You have to remember you're only going to have 5 or 6 rounds in a revolver and reloading isn't near as easy as changing a magazine!

tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter