>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Cocked and locked ?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Cocked and locked ?

Postby Richle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:51 pm

How do you carry your 1911 ? With one in the pipe, hammer back and safety on ? Hammer down on loaded chamber ? Hammer down on empty chamber ? Not sure of the best, recommended, and/or safest way to carry. Thanks for you help in advance.

Rich
Richle

Postby CONT2 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:18 pm

Richie, that's the age old question. Which are you more comfortable with? Do you frequent places that would make you feel the need to carry cocked and locked?

My Ruger P345 has a loaded chamber indicator, so I'll probably carry it cocked and locked. You should always treat your weapon as if it has a round in the chamber.

My P90, did'nt have that feature, so it made me extra careful, just in normal handling situations.

When I get my CCW, I'll carry the Ruger C and L.

You may not have time to rack a round.You may barely have time to flip the safety off...
CONT2

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:56 pm

The safest way would be hammer down on an empty chamber, but like CONT2 mentioned about having time to rack a round you will have to will have to decide.

Of the people I know who carry a 1911; carry cocked and locked with a round in the chamber.

I dont think I would want to carry with one in the chamber and the hammer down. There has been reports of the old 1911's bieng dropped or hit against somthing hard firing. All newer one's have (supposedly) eliminated this problem. What they changed I dont remember, I'll have to find where I read that and get back to you.
beltbuckle

Postby Richle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:29 pm

Thanks for your input, guys. I didn't mention the gun I am referring to is a Kimber Custom Compact CDP II .45. From what I see and hear, probably the most common carry is cocked and locked. I never thought about it much until I considered using this as my CCW, as I have never carried a 1911 type before. Thanks again.

Rich
Richle

Return to Gun Chatter