>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

how does the safety work?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

how does the safety work?

Postby jdeangelis99 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:41 am

How does the safety work exactly on glocks (glock 23) because from what I understand is that there are 3 external safety's, which Im not sure how they work, but then again from my ubderstanding if you pull a trigger on a glock, it will fire, so how exactly does the trigger work???? Thanks to responses in advance
jdeangelis99

Postby g4l » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:17 am

One external, two internal, when you pull the trigger all safeties are released, when fully releasing the trigger all safeties are engaged. In the center of the trigger there is a tab that protrudes acting as a backstop, if the trigger is pulled from each extreme side, such as grazing your pants or whatever, the backstop stays engaged preventing the movement, placing your finger in the center makes the tab flush with the trigger releasing the first safety, pulling back to fire disengages the others. I'd have to do some freshening up on the other two to give you a good mental visual but for now I'll just say they basically keep the gun from firing when dropped. The trigger safety is not foolproof, their are plenty of ways to catch it while holstering etc., so great care should be taken and a sturdy holster should be used that blocks the trigger from anything catching it, this is not a gun that should be thrown in the back of your pants unsupported. The Glock was made to operate with the simplicity of a revolver, pull the trigger, thats it. Check out the G23 post, most of the Glock guys hang out there and could give you valuable info on any questions.
g4l

Postby jdeangelis99 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:34 pm

you have the trigger safter..If you don't have to don't keep a round in th chamber... my friend is new to guns and he had the clip still in the gun cocked it back then the bullet in the chamber left but put a new bullet in the chamber pulled the trigger thinking it was empty and almost shot me..Needless to say i will never be around him with a gun again...
jdeangelis99

Postby weekendfunandgun » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:09 am

go to the glock website for a full description of how this works

www.glock.com

click on "pistols" at the top, and then click on "Glock Advantage" to read all about it
weekendfunandgun

Postby mark1123 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:41 pm

I was wondering about this, too. I was 99% ready to buy a G36 when I read more about how the safety works. It seems a bit unsafe to me. Now I'm swinging back towards the PX4 which has a manual safety. As soon as I think I have my mind made up, some comment on here makes me change my mind.
mark1123

Postby weekendfunandgun » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:48 am

mark - i have a G36 and love it. I carry it in a Fobus paddle holster that is molded to fit the G36 exactly, and it does!! The holster covers the entire trigger and trigger guard so there is no way the gun is going off inside the holster.

And I prefer not having a manual safety b/c if I were ever in a situation that required me to pull the gun from it's holster, it is quite possible that adrenalin would have my fine motor skills paralyzed. I dont want any more little pieces to manipulate than are absolutely required!
weekendfunandgun

Postby jdeangelis99 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:12 am

there might not be a manual saftey but the saftey trigger is pretty good..YOu would have to put some pressure on it to fire..And if need be don't put a round in the chamber. i keep a round in my chamber and i feel pretty safe that i won't shoot it accidently
jdeangelis99

Return to Gun Chatter