>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

help??

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

help??

Postby rednose » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:35 pm

im a newbie at this. i wanted to know whats the difference between a single action handgun and double action handgun?
rednose

Postby agonist » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:30 pm

Single action and double action refers to what is affected by pulling the trigger. In a double action pulling the trigger both cocks the firing pin or hammer and releases it to fire the weapon. In single action the trigger only releases the hammer therefore it must be cocked manually before firing.
agonist

Postby beltbuckle » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:57 pm

Just to add to what agonist said. Some pistols can be fired either single action or double, and some can only be fired double action only.
beltbuckle

Postby vince45 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:15 am

Good Evening! I'm in market of buying a hand gun just for target shooting. i'm looking at the 9mm Glock 17 or Springfield XD 4' both hand gun gives me a good hand grip the only problem i have with the Glock 17 is the safety feature not like the XD it comes with extra safety feature at the back of the hand grip! but i'm getting alot of good feed back on the glock 17 about accuracy. any help with this will very appreciated, Thanks
vince45

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:14 am

Both are great guns. If you safety conciencious the XD is probably the better choice
beltbuckle

Postby agonist » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:55 am

If it's just for target shooting does it have to be semi-auto? Both guns are great pistols but are odd choices for pure target work. Both the Glock and XD are double action duty pistols designed for armed response. Most pure target shooters choose a single action gun as the trigger pull is generally much lighter and shorter. If it doesn't need to be auto I would suggest a 6inch barrelled .357 revolver with an adjustable sight. For autos, I owned a steel framed EAA witness in .40 S&W that was very accurate and very affordable. But every shooter has their preference. An accurized 1911 is a very poular choice for semi-auto target shooters.
agonist

Return to Gun Chatter