>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

switching from rifle hunting to handgun

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

switching from rifle hunting to handgun

Postby tommydacat » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:45 pm

I've recently gotten into handguns, always liked them but never really got into them. In the last couple of months I've purchased a Taurus pt100 and a S&W 22A. I know that I can't hunt with either of these weapons, but my rifle collection is boaring me. I usually hunt deer every season but this next season I want more of a challenge, so I've decided that I want to try hunting with a handgun.

I've looked at a lot of handguns esspecially made for hunting big game, but I would like a multi-purpose weapon. I want to target shoot with my friends as well as hunt deer. I've decided that I want either a .357 mag or .44, but don't know which pistol or manufacturer will serve my purpose. I would appreciate all help and insight that is available. Thanks Tommy.
tommydacat

Postby beltbuckle » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:29 am

Either one of those will take down a deer. 44mag probably has more hunting cartiges available.

Me personally for a hunting revolver I'd choose a Ruger, Smith, Colt or even a Taurus.

Ever consider a 454 cassull, 480, 460xvr, or 500mag? for cheaper shooting you can fire 45long colts in the 454 and 460
beltbuckle

Postby qncy_blw » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:22 am

Tommydacat, consider a 6 inch Smith & Wesson 686 for your choice of 357 mag and look at a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Redhawk for the 44 mag. Both of these revolvers are extremely strong, reliable and very accurate. They can handle any available factory load for hunting, self defense or target shooting. Speedloaders are readily available for rapid reloads, comes in handy in an emergency situation. The S&W 686 is available in a 7 shot version. Not to deter you from revolvers but for serious handgun hunting have you considered the Thompson Contender? I've taken mine hunting dozens of times. With a 14 inch 223 barrel Ive taken lots of small game and with my 14 inch 30-30 I have hunted wild boar. Both barrels have scopes mounted and they're easily carried in the field in a bandolier shoulder holster.
qncy_blw

Postby tommydacat » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Thanks guys your help is useful. I just did some research on the ruger redhawk and I'm impressed! I do have another question, the .500 is it just a really big toy, or can you hunt with it. Or is it just too damn big and heavy, and not very practical to hunt with? Most of the ratings on these were negative, but the negative remarks were from people that did'nt acctually own one.

Right know I have my sights on a taurus pt1911 that I think I'm going to buy next week so I'll have to wait till fall to buy a mag revolver...so many guns, so little money! The only problem with waiting till fall to buy a hunting pistol is that it will not give me much time to get accustomed to firing it.

I like the Thompson Contender, but at the same time to me its like a really short single shot rifle isn't it? My father-in-law is thinking of getting one, so maybe his will change my mind, if he lets me shoot it.lol.
tommydacat

Postby tommydacat » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to ask about scope mounts. Does the redhawk come with factory mounts, what about S&W or Taurus?
tommydacat

Postby qncy_blw » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:59 pm

The Smith & Wesson 686 comes from the factory drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I have a Weaver style scope base made by Weigand mounted on one of my S&W 686(7 shot version). Makes it easy to mount a handgun scope or red dot optic. Ruger makes a revolver known as the Super Redhawk that comes standard with frame integral scope mounts and 1 inch rings. It's chambered in a variety of hunting calibers.
qncy_blw

Postby beltbuckle » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:57 pm

Sure the 500 is big and heavy for a handgun but its still lighter than a rifle. I have a friend with one with a 8" barrell who lets me shoot it every once in a while. They have an excellent muzzle break so it doesnt kick near what you'd expect. LOUD though. And its very accurate, I shoot it at 50 yards and its easy to make 2" groups with open site's.
beltbuckle

Return to Gun Chatter