>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

holsters

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

holsters

Postby GRAEME » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:09 am

Fobus Roto??????
GRAEME

Postby GRAEME » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:12 am

What do you guys think of the Fobus roto holsters??

I got one for the sig 229 the yesterday and it feels nice, i like the fact that you can cross draw with is as well. The only thing is when i wear it the butt sticks way out and its a small gun. Any ideas??????

G.
GRAEME

Postby qncy_blw » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:37 pm

Its a fine holster for uniform carry but not for concealment. As a backup, I took my Glock 35 in a Forbus Roto holster on a hunting trip and found it a bit unwieldy. I think it would have been better with a thumb break pancake holster, less cumbersome and more discreet. Ive used my roto holster in combat style matches and its okay but not the fastest.
qncy_blw

Postby GRAEME » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:05 pm

i know what you mean. It dosent feel that great, and i couldnt wear it all day. Galco make one that sticks in your jeans and loops in your belt on the outside. Just dont know if that would work either.

Im thinking of the XD sub compact on my ankle, whats your view on that? Any ideas on ankle holsters for wearing all the time?

G
GRAEME

Postby qncy_blw » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:26 am

I have an Uncle Mikes ankle holster for my 2 inch S&W 38 J frame. After using it a couple of times I found that it was not what its cracked up to be. Even wearing baggy pants my holster/gun became inadvertently exposed at times. Although the S&W 38 weighs only about 24 ounces loaded, it still wears heavily on you after awhile. I was never comfortable drawing my weapon from the ankle holster, its neither quick nor easy. If you wanted to remove your handgun before going into a bank, government building or school it presented another dilemma. For my Glock 26 I use a pocket holster for very discreet carry. An inside the waistband holster that you mentioned doesnt work for me either. I have had better experiences using a thumb break pancake holster worn on the backside of the hip. Good luck finding the right holster , Quincy
qncy_blw

Postby g4l » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:42 am

I wear my Galco all day in comfort, Ive wore it with dark shirts and it conceals pretty good but Im careful bending and reaching, but absolutely no problems with sweatshirts on. I think those Fobus holsters are more for duty use, although Ive never tried one so I cant say for sure. You have to remember theres no perfect holster for every situation, you may have to change carry habits with weather, dress and so on. I myself am thinking of an ankle holster for summer use or light shirt wear, and may also have to buy a smaller gun for the same, so just to sum it up dont hurt your head looking for perfection, but if you find it let me know!
g4l

Postby XXOXX » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:39 am

No way in hell youre going to be comfortable with an ankle holster! Not unles the gun on your ankle is a NAA 22 cal Mini Revolver. Even then, its gonna whack your other leg and make you walk funny.

Im a big fan of Galco pancake holsters on the belt or IWB. IWB on Galco tends to have a bit of a buldge where the hard plastic clip fits over the belt, but its better than their eariler plastic clip.

Oregon allows open-carry and views a gun in a holster on the belt as legal open carry even if the gun is covered with a coat. That said, if the gun is concealed on the belt, covered with a shirt or coat, and the owner has a CCW, the gun is legally concealed in Oregon, even if it prints.

The way the law is written in Oregon, it makes no sense to attempt carry except on the belt. Shoulder, ankle holsters bring up legal issues, and are not practical/comfortable.

Have heaps and piles of Galco holsters, for about a dozen handguns. For the J-frame and 1911s I have a couple holster options -- IWB, pancake, thumbreak for the 1911.

I went $100 on a Kramer horsehide IWB for my Kahr MK9 Elite. Horsehide is stiffer than cowhide, also more durable. The Kramer fits.

Fit is crucial for a holster. The shop where I buy leather lets me put it on the belt, stick the gun in it and walk around the shop, bend over, reach, sit -- to see how the holster fits.

Well fitting holster should snug the gun close to the body. Nothing should stick out when youre bending, reaching, sitting.
XXOXX

Postby XXOXX » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:44 am

One more note -- Belts. Your gun belt needs to be serious leather too. Too often the holster is just fine, but its on a cheap belt, and the belt is not holding the holster where it needs to be. If youre serious about carry, get a belt / holster combination that doesnt cut corners. $100 or $150 for the full leather rig is not unreasonable, and itll pay for itself fast when you start to wear it day in and day out.
XXOXX

Postby g4l » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Glockstore has a great belt, it's about $49. It comes with a carbon fiber look, great for casual or dress.
g4l

Postby k9sarge » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:11 am

I have collected a bunch of custom holsters over the years. For the past few years I have become a big fan of the Fobus paddle holster. It is quickly becoming the holster of choice for a lot of police officers, and for civilians who have to remove the weapon quite frequently it may be a good choice too. You would be able to remove the holster and gun without having to take off your belt. (Thus avoiding the always present threat of a public indecency charge!) Anyway I like Fobus and may vote for him for President in 08, unless of course they dig up King Ronnie and breathe new life into him (since I see no other leaders in the former R-party) but hey I may be getting off the subject slightly.

Stay safe, it's a jungle out there.
k9sarge

Next

Return to Gun Chatter