>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

What is the best all around handgun?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby TOOBAD2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:28 pm

THE BEST ALL AROUND HANDGUN IS THE ONE YOU HAVE WITH YOU AT THE TIME. IF ,AND I HOPE NONE OF US GET THERE, THAT WE NEED A GUN . I WOULD RATHER HAVE A SHOTGUN.
TOOBAD2

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:56 pm

Henry, Glocks are Austrian, not Israeli. I think they would make an excellent replacement for the military M9. The Glock is completely reliable and in battle that's #1. Parts interchangeability and even the ability to change calibers with a barrel change is another plus, especially for the field armorers. I absolutely agree that the HK would make a very nice choice. But with the latest concern over the price of everything, their price could be prohibitive and make the Glock that much more attractive.

TOOBAD2, it's difficult to read your posts when they're in all upper case (capitals). Can I ask you to use standard text please? Thanks...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:48 pm

I've had several Glocks for duty arms. Their lighter weight was a blessing, especially when hit with a double shift. The military would also love any weight they could shed.

I wish I could come up with a negative regarding Glocks, but they make it real tough.

Full/mid/baby size, so many calibers, fewer parts, they love +Ps & JHPs, EZ strip, & all that Tigwelder stated, etc. Very strange I don't have one ... at the moment.

Whitehood called me the Tiger woods of pistols, so don't let him know I'm thinking about a Glock 36 [baby 45].

I love my XD9 401HC 'Tactical' especially the US in front of the Ser No.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:38 am

Talking about glocks

*goanra*

I wish I could come up with a negative regarding Glocks, but they make it real tough.

They dont like reloaded ammo!!! KB=glock

This is a personal preference but, I hate the trigger on glocks and xd's while I'm at it.

and aesthetics
beltbuckle

Postby keyman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm like Tig, don't make me name just one gun. However, if I had to pick just one gun, it would be my Kimber Ultra Carry II 45, three in. barrel.

I've owned an H&K, Glock, CZ, Beretta and EAA Witness. They are all fine guns, but none compare w/the Kimber Ultra Carry II for accuracy, dependability and ease of carry. My second choice would be the Kimber CDP II 9mm. Great Gun.
keyman

Postby GOANRA » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:01 pm

beltbuckle, I sure can't argue that Glocks ain't the prettiest girl in town. LOL

All mine were issued to me, I was thinking about a G36, but that flippin' trigger complicates the issue ... life should be simpler.

I really need a 20oz 45acp, that is good [& safe] for pocket-carry, on occassion.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:19 pm

BB, for under $200.00 I can eliminate two of your concerns with the Glock. KKM, Bar-sto and Lone Wolf (for starters) all make upgraded barrels for Glocks. Thus allowing the use of reloads, lead bullets and also eliminates the KB's because they have fully supported chambers, some Match quality. I haven't shot a pistol with one of these barrels and my first concern with this conversion is its reliabililty. Mess with perfection???, I'm not sure if that's a good idea. But that's what reliability testing is for. I can't do much in the way of changing the trigger. There are improvements that can be made to the existing set up but that's about it as far as I know. I've learned to know the trigger action and have become accustomed to it. People have been talking about the Safe Action trigger since it came out. Love it or leave it!

Glock 17s and Glock 19s are standard service pistols in certain Israeli military and paramilitary units (Yamam, Shayetet 13, Shabak, and private security firms) and remain extremely popular handguns on Israel's private citizen market. I have never seen anything that indicates Glock was created for the Israelis. All evidence I can find says that Gaston Glock started his company in the early 1980s as a response to the Austrian army's request for a new sidearm.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:35 pm

That's an easy answer Henry. The Glock barrel is rifled differently than many other firearms. They are rifled in a "Polygonal" method. Wikipedia explains it like this:

Polygonal rifling (pə-lĭg'ə-nəl) is a type of rifling wherein the traditional lands and grooves are replaced by "hills and valleys" in a rounded polygonal pattern, usually a hexagon or octagon.

Polygons with a larger number of edges provide a better gas seal in relatively large diameter polygonally rifled bores. In the Glock pistol, for instance, octagonal rifling is used in the large diameter .45 ACP bore, which has a 11.23 mm (0.442 in) diameter, since it resembles a circle more closely than the hexagonal rifling used in smaller diameter bores. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling

The polygonal method they say offers better gas seals around the bullet, which adds velocity and better accuracy. The problem with lead bullets is because the polygonal rifling is more prone to fouling/leading than is a standard rifled barrel. If a barrel gets too fouled/leaded, it can and does reduce the bore diameter. A big bullet in a small barrel causes obvious problems! The problem experienced in these barrels (H&K and Kahr also offer them) when they lead up can result in an over pressured case which can cause it to rupture (or Kaboom, KB). That case rupturing problem can also result with reloaded ammunition. I've shot lots of reloads, (not in my Glock though) and didn't understand it either. But what happens is this, a once, twice fired case can and does weaken from the pressure exerted on it during firing. In a barrel chamber like the Glock that has an unsupported section (between 5 & 7 O'Clock, to enhance feeding reliability) the reloaded case can potentially rupture more easily because it's been prematurely weakened from prior use. That can be eliminated by the purchase of an aftermarket barrel that uses conventional rifling and provides a fully supported chamber.

Hopefully you can glean some information from all of this rambling! Let me know if you have any additional questions. Good luck and good shooting!

tigwelder56

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:01 am

Springfield XD models, hands down in my opinion.
dsclaiborne31

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:56 pm

TEXVETNAM67-68

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter