>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Best Starter Pistol ??

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Best Starter Pistol ??

Postby dathbgboy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:44 am

Whassup,

Im new to the forum and have a question, Im anticipatin buyin my first firearm when I turn 21 in December. Im a college student and dont really have that much money to spend on one but I want one. What kind of firearm do you guys would be good for me. Im a tall, skinny guy if that plays a factor. Also, I dont want one that wont hold more than 10 rounds, decent weight (30<) and great for concealing since I plan on carrying. All suggestions would greatly appreciated. Thanks for yall time.
dathbgboy

Postby CON-T » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:01 am

whatever you get, go to the range and familiarize yourself with the mechanics of the gun. it depends on what you like. you can rent different calibers and sizes at the range, so try that and figure out what youre comfortable with. i personally love the knockdown power of the .45. although i have a 9mm, .380 and a .22....but thats just me....holler back...
CON-T

Postby dathbgboy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:08 pm

Yea I was thinking about a .45 or a .40, something wit power behind it. I was thinkin about the Baby DE
dathbgboy

Postby CON-T » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:43 am

what does the de stand for? what brand is that?
CON-T

Postby dathbgboy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:59 am

Desert Eagle. I been readin reviews and 95% of them say it is a good gun despite the weight and the factory clips. Im not sure if it would have the same kick back as the regular Desert Eagle, cause I heard that it kicks back hard and if you dont shoot it right, you could really break your arm.
dathbgboy

Postby CON-T » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:16 am

that sounds like a good choice. its smart to see what other people think of a particular weapon.like i said before, see if your local range has that gun as a rental and go shoot it .im picky!! ive been known to buy a gun and shoot 100rds out of it .....and then trade it or sell it and get something else. im still trying to find the perfect fit. i just got a ruger p-90 .45 and i think i may have found my .45 for life. ive got a llama 9mm and i like it but not sure if it will play the roll of my 9mm for life. ive been thinking about the ruger p-95 or the ruger p-89 as the 9mm for me....but who knows? keep looking and then compare before you buy, or ...be like me and experiment......often.
CON-T

Postby dathbgboy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:48 pm

Ok I will do, the P-90 looks like a pretty good firearm, realiable and powerful. But I thank you for all of your help and advice!
dathbgboy

Postby Powder_Burns » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:22 am

For a starter pistol go with a .22lr. The ammo is cheap, (you can buy about 500 rounds for under 10 dollars) theres no recoil (making shooting more enjoyable) and they are generally more affordable than the larger sized guns. Check out the browning buck mark. Now, for concealed carry Id suggest a revolver like the s&w airlights/airweights. They are very small, weigh very little, and will not jam or malfunction like the autoloaders. If you must have an autoloader check out the kel-tec p11. Its considered the smallest autoloading 9mm ever made. Its TINY. As for the magnum research products, dont bother. Theyre not the best quality, and for a person of your frame, the larger caliber guns are going to make shooting very unpleasant for you as a beginner. Furthermore, have you seen the dimensions on a desert eagle? Nobody i know can get their hands around the grips properly. Theyre ridiculous! Youre better off with an H&K mp7 (lol) But if you MUST have a gun in the .40 / .45acp range, you should look at the sig sauer p220 carry which is a .45, the h&k usp compact which comes in 9mm, .40 and .45. The cats meow would have to be the browning hi-power or pro9.
Powder_Burns

Postby dathbgboy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:48 am

I looked at most of them and theyre pretty exspensive I think a 9mm or .380 should be good for me since it carries more than the larger caliber and at the same time will be powerful. What would you recommend for those calibers (9mm, .380)? under $400, cause I really dont have that much to spend on a gun but I wanna get one. Thanks for your help by the way.
dathbgboy

Postby CON-T » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:14 am

ive been hearing good things about kel-tec. they have some inexpensive handguns. also, taurus has some for not too much. consider a used gun. you can get some decent deals on some good name brands like ruger,taurus,and s&w. i got my ruger p-90 for less than $400 and new, it wouldve cost close to $600.shop around...have fun. btw, my ruger is a .45...
CON-T

Next

Return to Gun Chatter